Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the bodywork/paint forum but i thought i would repost here to see if anyone has dealt with this or a similar problem...

I've been working on/restoring an E150 camper van, it has two side hatch doors, both doors were rusted through the exterior, i cleaned it up, used a naval jelly type product on the rust, then used the fiberglass / screen patch to cover the holes. both holes were pretty large and took up most of the bottom of the doors. the the entire bottoms were wrapped/treated on inside/outside.
I have a solid foundation to work off of, but it's not exactly firm or as sturdy as a body panel and has an air pocket, for a lack of a better description. My question is this, since i have a solid wrap around the holes, door bottoms, is there a way to fill the bottoms to strengthen them up a bit? i was contemplating trying to get some bondo down there, or mixing up the rest of the fiberglass/resin and pouring that in, or maybe even a low expansion spray foam...we're talikng about the lower three inches where the inner/outer door skins meet....any suggestions??

( i am going for function, not looks :cornut:)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
how are you at welding?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have Lincoln welder set up, however i had sold it last summer because i wasn't using it , i was going to see if i could borrow a small wire feed unit ordering a new panel and or patching it, ....but it's to a point where welding in a patch would be going backwards.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i'm guessing you cant find replacement doors anywhere...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
solved

i had no luck finding doors in any better shape than mine...

Last night I ended up cutting some 1/2 flat stock steel pieces, bending them into a V shape, applied primer and coated in resin, then after they dried, applied more resin to the inner door and the wedges and put three in the bottom of each door, just snug enough to make good contact and help hold the door contour/shape and allowed to dry over night.

the doors are now solid enough/stiff enough. i plan on filling the inner cavity with some low expansion foam at the bottom, and insulation in the main part of the door next. (weep holes will be added for any H20 that may get in)

thanks for the suggestions!

Sal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts