Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer has always worked yet my odometer has never worked and I am unsure if it is the speedo cable or not. Given I am restoring my dash and instrument panel I figured now is the time to fix it. I also plan to rest my odometer to 200 miles, which is how much I have on my rebuilt engine, however that is a secondary issue.

After visually inspecting the gears (from what I can see) that connect to the odometer (two plastic screw/gears everything looks connected, I don’t see any wear. So I am trying to find out how I can test or check to see if the problem is the cable. For example can I insert a tool of some sort into the back of the Speedo housing and attach it to a drill and see if it turns the odometer?

I don’t want to attempt anything without seeking advice from some experts so let me know if anyone has any guidence.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @Dominick 1 . I did pull the odometer out and it looks as if someone may have tried to roll back the odometer and the 5 dividers were not seated properly on the housing. Not sure if this is the root of the problem but it would have contributed to it.

I will do some more digging and if I fall short I will ping these guys. My big challenge is being from Canada the shipping back and forth gets expensive. Will keep u posted

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Using a reversible drill is what used car lots did to reset the odometer.
So yeah that can be done to check the operation.

As to resetting the odometer, your car you can do what you want with it, However if you sell it, an altered odometer is a crime in some states.
Which is why on some state titles for some vehicles that have reached a certain age, the odometer mileage is unknown. As it is a Federal law to track milage at ownership changes.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
I don't really know about Canada.
Documenting when some work was done on a vehicle is important for a bunch of reasons
Not sure I would do it that way.

Action

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
The problem with mine was it wouldn't move
They just repair the gear
and didn't disturb the mileage
If they had to they would provide a sticker for the door jamb
Stating the date and reason for the change
That way they protect themselves also

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Dominick 1 i think you are correct, I have the same problem, the worm and gear will not move. Also based on the feedback from you and @Action. I will contact the department of transport here in Canada and see how to properly deal with the odometer reset. As I bought it without correct mileage in South Carolina so there must be a way to officially get the change documented, once I get this fixed.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Way back when I was with Ford Parts
I had to package them up and send them in for repair or exchange
Ford always provided a sticker that you put on you door pillar

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the issue. The worm that connects to the main gear from the Speedo cable was full of dirt. I cleaned it and it is moving smoothly, however I can see where there is wear on the plastic worm. Ideally this needs to be replaced, however I don’t have the tools to get the last pieces apart. I may put it back together to see if it will still spin with all the gears working together.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
If the numbers are lined up even
I wouldn't touch it
Just see how it goes the way you are thinking

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I believe that once an odometer reaches it's limits of 99.999.9 thousand miles and goes back to all zeros there is no more accountability. In Iowa after a vehicle is over seven years old there is no accountability of milage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts