Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am new to this forum and am looking for a simple answer. I replaced my oil cooler lines in my 2002 Crown Vic P71. when i was down under the car i noticed that the replacement lines i received that the hoses that plugged into the cooler were only able to plug into the opposite ports they were originally in. Since there was only one way for the bracket to be bolted back on, i didn't think anything of it. Will this swapping of ports that they plug into cause any troubles or will it function without any problems? Thanks in advance and if this has already been discussed and someone can guide me to the other post, i would appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Which engine?

Oil cooler lines? These have engine coolant running in them?

Plug in??? Don't these lines just slip over a nipple and have a clamp?

If the question boils down to the direction of engine coolant running through a oil cooler. ..... The answer is the coolant doesn't care and the oil doesn't care. As long as both fluids are moving through the cooler. The oil cooler is a heat exchanger. The purpose is to move heat out of the engine oil and into the engine coolant. Where the engine coolant sheds the heat in the radiator.

The exception to the above would be during cold engine warm up. Where engine coolant may warm up the engine oil.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Reactions: nhepler90

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the 4.6 V8 police interceptor. It is the lines that the oil run through for the engine oil cooler. So I would be dealing with the direction of oil flow, some diy videos said "it is very important to note which hose goes where", so it just had me second guessing it because the corresponding lines had switched top to bottom on the cooler. I appreciate the response, might have been just me over thinking it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
I don't think engine coolant hose connections are going to make that much difference.

IF THEY DO
It is because the engine belongs in a P71 and as such the engine could sustain long periods of extreme operation. As a P71 is designed for that type of use.

If your engine will see long periods of idling (like hours)
OR
High sustained vehicle speeds greater than 85 and for over 60 minutes

One way of connection may remove more heat than connecting the opposite way. This has to do with internal design of the cooler, IF there is flow specific internals.

I don't have a P71 (never owned one)
I don't have a car shop manual from that era eihter. That might be better source than some dude (me) on a key board.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is my daily driver, mainly to and from work. an occasional trip to the coast to visit family. I have not done any longer periods of driving to see if it makes a difference after replacing, but i will tomorrow. I have tried to search online for manuals and other forums (mainly a crown vic specific website) and couldn't find an answer or the manuals didn't have the external oil cooler included (no police interceptor specific manuals). They have external oil cooler delete kits for these cars so i imagine that having the flow lines reversed, if it matters, should not affect it with lesser cooling effectiveness. All the lines i looked at other stores were the same way when bolted on, so unless they have a serious problem with getting the connectors in the right order, i won't worry about it too much longer.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
The purpose of the cooler is to keep engine oil temps from getting too high. Heat does bad things to oil and shortens the life. In P71 operation the possibilities of oil temps spiking are more possible than regular Crown Vic use. Therefor the cooler. So in non-police use where there will be no high speed chases. (Really I am talking about ground speeds in excess or 90 MPH) Or multiple rapid accelerations from zero to 60 on a daily basis or engine idling for hours the oil temps will be good.

With oil temps getting real high the other solution is to change out oil more frequently. Like every 3000 miles.

The same holds true for automatic transmissions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 7 of 7 Posts