Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my '08 Escape serviced about 6 months ago. My mechanic put Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W30 oil in it. The odometer read 99151. Last week the message that an oil change is needed flashed up. There are currently 100350 miles on the odometer . . . roughly 1200 miles. This led to my post.

I don't know what Ford recommends for miles between oil changes on this product. I also don't know if my mechanic reset the system when he changed the oil. It has been my understanding that synthetic blend oils last much longer than the old oils from 50 years ago that were changed every 1000 miles.

Is my oil with only 1200 miles on it in 6 months still good? I know that city driving and short trips with lots of stops and starts puts more carbon into the oil, but is a 6 month interval without regard to mileage reasonable?

tia

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
The oil change light interval is controlled by software in the PCM. I keeps track of several things -
Total number of miles driven
Engine RPM
Vehicle speeds
Engine temp
Depending on data from those factors the light trips sooner or later.

The engine and PCM have no idea on the oil weight and/or regular or synthetic

In my opinion if you drive 12,000 miles a year or less, changing the oil and filter every 6 months works. This is what I do and I have 3 daily drivers in my household. One of those has over 230,000 miles.

With that said oil and filter changes have been drummed into the American auto owner. Engines, especially the most recent engines will last a very very long time. Most of the time if maintenance is not kept up is because of something else not done. Filters replacement, coolant not changed or some other thing. Engine failures after 100,000 miles of use was not an unusual event on vehicles built before 1980. That kind of failure does not happen as much. In addition, engines with 200,000 miles or more are rather common. That is because newer engines are made to a much higher standard. Mostly to meet fuel economy and emission standards. Long engine life was not the goal but it happened because of engineering to meet those standards.

BTW engine oil weight has gotten so light from the day of 10W30 or 10W40. The light weight oil and exacting engine standards helps to produce the fuel economy. Increase the engine oil weight, not much changes except the fuel economy drops a little. One or two miles to the gallon difference over 200,000 miles times millions of vehicles adds up a lot. What ever engine weight is specified by the owners manual use that. Heavy weight oil won't work in newer engines and lighter weight oil won't work in older engines.

Lastly is engine oil service classification. Far more important than oil brand or some other thing
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (pqiamerica.com)

Action

Reactions: scrambledlife

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If your driving less than 3000 per year you should only need to change it once a year.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like that mechanic didn't reset the oil monitor system. Call and ask him....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts