Overheating, second verse | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Overheating, second verse

Discussion in 'Ford Crown Victoria' started by bradleyheathhays, Sep 12, 2018.

1. bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays Member

Sorry to start another thread but I'm desperate to get this fixed fast as it's really costing me not having this vehicle on the road now.

Got a '11 Crown Vic that's been overheating because the rad fan hasn't been kicking on when it should. I replaced the fan and fan controller with a new unit and it's still not working right. Sometimes the fan kicks on when I turn the a/c on, and other times it doesn't. Sometimes it turns on when the engine gets hot and sometimes it doesn't.

Water pump is known to be good, flushed system both ways and the thermostat is new.

Any ideas?
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Is your A/C fully charged?
  3. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

see if this helps
    https://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/a-c-doesnt-work-accumulator-replacement.11798/
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The PCM controls the radiator cooling fan.

There may be two fans. If that is the case usually one fan will come on with the AC system is turned on. The post above indicates that is the AC does not work or the system is very low on a charge, the fan motor won't come on.

The other fan is turned on by some inputs to te PCM and the PCM determines when the fan comes on. Typically that is done via a relay. That relay is located in the power distribution box. The owners manual or the lid of the box may show which relay is for the cooling fan motor.

Most cases the relays are generic. Which means swapping relays inside the power distribution box with the same pin count and configuration can be a diagnosis tool. Instead of the proper tools of a shop manual, wiring diagram and a meter. Which also means buying a replacement relay isn't as critical. A generic one will work if it handles the heavy load.

>>>>>>>>>>Action