Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm mike.
I have a 2003 p71. I change the oil in it. Put a fram filter and oil in the car. It wasn't double gasketed. But when I start the car it just sprays oil from the filter. I replaced the oil and filter again and it still does it. Can anyone help me

·
Registered
536 Posts
First the generic questions: When it happened the second time, you used the same filter or a new one? Did you put a light film of oil on the gasket first? The mounting surface was clean and free of crud? Assuming you did not cross threads, how tight did you torque it? It was a PH2?

By "not double-gasketed", I assume you mean the old one wasn't stuck on the mounting surface(?)

For the second try, I hope you did not drain all the new oil but only replaced the fluid that leaked out...

Is this your first change on this engine? Oil Filter adapters appear to be different on P71 versions of the 4.6.; e.g. http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1951278

Others smarter than I will reply soon I bet...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,872 Posts
As mentioned above, this is typically from the old oil filter gasket remaining on the block instead of coming off with the old filter. Removing the filter and check the filter mounting surface for foreign debris or the old gasket. Remove those items and reinstall the oil filter.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts