Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am searching for a Ford Econoline. I am planning on sleeping in this van for 1-2 years while I attend college, as dorms and other costs are very expensive.

I have about $4,500 cash, and a 1994 Ford Explorer which is in good, running condition. I live in Van Nuys, CA, 91405

I would simply like to integrate a small bed in the back, and possibly a small table for computer work and home work.

I noticed there were "Van Sofabeds" available which is a very cool idea.

I also have clothes and stuff I would like to have conveniently hidden away from potential company.

Please suggest a ford econoline that will accomplish this. Please also provide an estimate of what I should pay/what would be a good or bad deal.

If I'm not able to find an econoline, I am also interested in a Chevy Astrovan.

Please also ask any questions, as I will be checking this forum frequently for info in other threads.

Thanks!

Ty

·
Registered
56 Posts
What about an small RV? I'm trying to think .... Class B? Aren't those van size with everything you asking about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would check on ebay, you might be able to get a no/low reserve listing that is just what you are looking for. Remember to always check the sellers feedback and inspect the vehicle in person before bidding. KBB.com or NADA.com will help you determine if its a good deal. Good luck :smile5:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i would think any of them would work... you can always modify it to accommodate to your needs...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Check your local classifieds, sometimes you can pick up one of those conversion vans with the bed and all already there for a reasonable price. Some even have a small fridge and stove in them as well

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am searching for a Ford Econoline. I am planning on sleeping in this van for 1-2 years while I attend college, as dorms and other costs are very expensive.

I have about $4,500 cash, and a 1994 Ford Explorer which is in good, running condition. I live in Van Nuys, CA, 91405
Like other have said, look for a used RV. There are a lot of Class A or Class B RV out there with low mileage.

Having said that, any vehicle over 10 years old is likely going to need some serious maintenance. Things like belts, hoses, weather seals, exhaust systems, brake shoes/pads (!) and wiring just "rot" after 10-15 years, even on low mileage vehicles.

High mileage vehicles will also need tires, brakes, shocks and possibly engine/emission parts.

Be careful about spending all of your money and not having anything left for repairs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Vans are cheep. Nobody likes putting fuel in them anymore, old pigs, sigh. Back when I started driving gas was $.79 a gallon. Them big motors were fun and 6 mpg didn't mean a thing.... Does this mean I'm old? I used to listen to my Great Uncle tell me how a $5 bill got you a tank of gas, a pack of smokes, dinner for you AND your date, and rubbers for when you ''ran out of gas''. Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

I searched autotrader, cars.com, & ebay, but haven't been able to find a target Class B RV. Everything seems to be very expensive.

Can someone please find a good example for a class b rv? I've got about 6.5-7.k

Thanks for the advice on the repairs. Definitely will keep that in mind. I plan on driving as little as possible, and also plan on getting full coverage insurance.

Does full coverage insurance fix my car no matter what happens?

I'll keep you guys informed with any updates.

Thanks!

Ty

·
Registered
45 Posts
after reading you post(s), i went on craigslist and found a few, decent condition RV's, not sure where you are located, but in this economy, (along with the cost of fuel) there are alot of Conversion/camper cans and or RV's. take a good luck around before you decide. You also may want to see if you can get away with a trailer, there are some nice ones online as well. good luck in your search.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does full coverage insurance fix my car no matter what happens?
In a word ... NO !

An insurance company will never put more into a vehicle than its current value.

If you customize it yourself, they will not pay to have any of the customization repaired if they are damaged in an accident or fire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the van doesn't pan out, I would suggest a used 3/4-1 ton truck with a slide in overhead camper. I had one in college and it would have been perfect for what you want to do. It would already be outfitted for living in without many modifications needing to be made.

I found a camper in LA (Craigslist) for $200, but can't post the link - not enough posts yet. :(

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
A sister-in-law of mine lived out of an Astro van for a few years while being the free spirit of the family. But I don't think she had it "self-contained", as in she had a shower and kitchen available elsewhere and only slept and kept her stuff in it.

I am building a compact fully contained RV on as small a platform as I think I can get away with. I looked long and hard at Astros and their like, but I just couldn't see how it was possible (or plesant/comfortable anyway). And so settled on a E-150 as the minimum size to build on.

Like the others said, your best bet is to find an older motorhome, or better yet a truck and trailer that you can leave somewhere and use the truck to drive around. Actually your very best bet is to find a girlfriend or sugar momma with a real place to live instead of becoming that "wierd guy who lives in the dorm parking lot"...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Intervec Falcon on E250 Chassis

What you need is something like what I have in my avatar. Mine is an 89, 19' long and is totally self-contained. I use it for living in when I am on the road working. It's not the roomiest thing in the world but it does do the job. They run anywhere from 2K-6K depending on the year and condition. You will have the odd problem with them, being that they are 20 years old, but if you find a good one, and take care of it, it will do you right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts