Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hand: Halfway through the plug change on the van! :hand:

So far no problems, but a big surprise. So far I've done cylinders 1-5 and discovered that plugs #1 & #5 were replacements and in excellent condition. Plugs 2-4, however were the factory originals and shot all to heck. :idea: What I figure is that someone did a "sham" tune up and just changed the front and rear plugs. I'll get confirmation when I change plugs 6-10 tomorrow.

Have a great evening everyone!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Ok - time for a lunch break...

Plugs 6-10 are now changed and I'm installing coil packs and other miscellaneous stuff. This time I have 3 new plugs and 2 old ones. The final decision is that someone changed the easy to get to plugs and left the hard ones alone.

Lunch break is almost over... Time to get back to work. :yikes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, going to need to change coils as well....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally! New plugs, boots, and coils have the van purring like a kitten. Glad I'm not going to be doing this job again any time soon.

·
Registered
534 Posts
ill bet you that's why the manufacturers went to 100k mile tune ups. ya think?
Congratulations!:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Gee Grems, I love how you work.
A little today, a little tomorrow, maybe some next week :)

OK.... time for ice cream! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gee Grems, I love how you work.
A little today, a little tomorrow, maybe some next week :)

OK.... time for ice cream! :)
Its more like work like heck one weekend, wait for parts, work like heck after parts come in. :crazy: Working 4 tens during the week with a 2 hour round trip commute doesn't help either.

The weather here yesterday was not too conducive to getting much done so I had to get it done today while the weather was good. :biggrin5:

I don't go getting all obsessed about getting done quickly unless I need the vehicle immediately. I won't need the van until next weekend, so I did what I could when I could.

It may be time for ice cream, but that ain't happening due to diabetes. :cryin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking at getting a 99 E350 in need of coil plugs (not sure of which ones yet, shop didn't give me the specific codes). Can you explain more about how hard the hard ones to get to are? I had a feeling there might be trouble getting to things on the engine in this chassis setup... I have universals and wobble extensions out the ying-yang I guessed it was just a matter of getting things out of the way to get in to them and coming up with the right combos to get on the coil bolts...

Any help/explanation is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you pull the front seats its not that bad...
ai66.photobucket.com_albums_h258_pershingd_IMG_2065.jpg

I didn't need any fancy wobble sockets and universals. Just took my time, loosened up the wiring harnesses running along both sides and worked slowly until I got it done. I would put it at mildly difficult if you are patient and take your time. I'm not that agile or nimble any more and I managed it just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cool, I only have one front seat in my beast (shuttle bus conversion) so as long as the step up to the rear floor area doesn't cause too much trouble, maybe there's some hope.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i forgot how fun dog houses were...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts