Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the 150K mile plug replacement on my new 2005 E150 and I'm not sure if I have a misfire or if she is running rough as don't know this engine (5.4) yet. OBD has not set yet so no codes.
I have been trying to upload a small zipped video file but always its too big. Any hints? I'll try put it on YouTube.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is video on YouTube

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Just completed the 150K mile plug replacement on my new 2005 E150 and I'm not sure if I have a misfire or if she is running rough as don't know this engine (5.4) yet. OBD has not set yet so no codes.
I have been trying to upload a small zipped video file but always its too big. Any hints? I'll try put it on YouTube.
You have coil on plug system don't you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
I would thing it if the issue is spark related (Spark plug or coil) that condition would trip the CEL.

Doesn't take a lot of unburned fuel (misfire) to trip the light.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
All the injectors and coils are connected?
I have to disconnect the injector connectors to get enough clearance.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
He has coil on plug
It won't trip a light but each plug has it's own coil
He could have a bad coil or a torn boot
He could isolate it by borrowing a wand from autoZone
Start the engine lay the wand on each coil if the wand lights up that coil is good
repeat the same process on all of them
Even the ones that are hard to reach

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I drive a while will not the OBD tell me the bad cylinder?
For Action, I did this with only disconnecting one injector connect - but if I did it again I would disconnect more.

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
The PCM knows that each power stroke the crank shaft should move. During a misfire the crankshaft does not move as much. Miss fires happen all the time. Most of the time we don't even feel them. And the PCM does not lite up the CEL unless it happens many times.

So the spark could get past a boot and not to the plug or not fire at all. All scenarios create a rough run. Because the spark either did not go across the plug tips at all OR did not go across with enough spark to ignite all of the mixture. And/or the mixture was so lean it could not support an explosion no matter how hot the spark.

Yes the light will trip if run long enough. If you disconnected the battery to do the job it may take longer.

And yes I disconnect all injectors. The connector is different than the coils. And you can not make the wrong wire connect to an injector. It is just easier.

>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
It is possible you have a bad coil or a lean fuel mixture or a bad plug even though the plugs are new.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you have a ticking noise coming from the left hand side of the engine. Passenger side valve cover. If you know what a noisy lifter sounds like. Those engines the 5.4L are known for a worn cam follower and it can cause that and much more damage. Look up Fordtechmakuloco on YouTube.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a ticking noise coming from the left hand side of the engine. Passenger side valve cover. If you know what a noisy lifter sounds like. Those engines the 5.4L are known for a worn cam follower and it can cause that and much more damage. Look up Fordtechmakuloco on YouTube.
No

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
That noise is not a cam follower it is a cam phaser.

A worn cam phaser does not cause a rough running. It causes poor fuel economy. The purpose of a cam phaser is to advance the cam shafts at higher RPM.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike what did the old spark plugs look like when you pulled them. If they were all good can you barrow a good scanner to do a power balance test?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ONE of my plugs and its coil had been replaced, #8. That is where the oil was as shown in the other post - "7 new Plugs, 1 .......". There was no blow-by but looked like an oil leak from valve cover gasket. See he other thread.
I have scanner please show me how do the test. Today I am going to attempt a drive cycle to set the OBD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ONE of my plugs and its coil had been replaced, #8. That is where the oil was as shown in the other post - "7 new Plugs, 1 .......". There was no blow-by but looked like an oil leak from valve cover gasket. See he other thread.
I have scanner please show me how do the test. Today I am going to attempt a drive cycle to set the OBD.
ty for the reply. Yes I found the other thd. I have a Snap On Solus Pro. It’s older but gets the job done up to 2015. What brand and model are you using. By the way what you are going to do with your van is one of my dreams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike you can still do a balance test by hand but it going to be hard. You just need a good vacuum gauge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Curious if this has been resolved?
I vaguely recall reading the original post about 7 +1. No link in this thread.
What I don't recall seeing here or there is...Was it rough before the plug change?
Thankfully at 90K my 2007 E-150 was still smooth and still is after the plug change.

Mike R

1 - 20 of 72 Posts