Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mike you can still do a balance test by hand but it going to be hard. You just need a good vacuum gauge.
Curious if this has been resolved?
I vaguely recall reading the original post about 7 +1. No link in this thread.
What I don't recall seeing here or there is...Was it rough before the plug change?
Thankfully at 90K my 2007 E-150 was still smooth and still is after the plug change.

Mike R
Today I will attempt a drive cycle. Not rough before plug change so I'm thinking I just have a connector not quite right or a fuel injector connector dislodged. Later.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Today I will attempt a drive cycle. Not rough before plug change so I'm thinking I just have a connector not quite right or a fuel injector connector dislodged. Later.
Do you think that you may have damaged the spark plug when putting it in?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Drive cycle done. It's cylinder 7 so at least easy access. I'm on it now.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Better than #4 or 8

Coil or spark plug or both

>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Seem I did not tighten #7 plug enough. There is a fair bit of black oil in the bottom of the well and plug is not tight. Should I pull plug and inspect or just try to tighten it?

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Seem I did not tighten #7 plug enough. There is a fair bit of black oil in the bottom of the well and plug is not tight. Should I pull plug and inspect or just try to tighten it?
I'd go ahead and pull it out
clean the oil out of the well
inspect the spark plug
You have done a lot of work on it not to check it out
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Oil would only come from the valve cover. Oil in large amounts can cause boot damage and eventually a misfire.

It the spark plug is not tight you will need to do that as well. A loose spark plug will not fire correctly.

Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
UPDATE and a change of opinion. The plug was in solid but the coil was not fully seated. I now believe this well had gunk in the bottom not from a recent blow-by but from the old valve cover gasket leak just as #8 did, and this interfered with the coil being fully seated. All of this afternoon just to figure this. If I had known all this I would have dropped the engine and done the valve gaskets etc. Has anyone ever replaced the valve cover in situ?

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
I have 2 modular V-8s and have never done that.
You don't have to remove the engine.
But removing all of the stuff around the cover is necessary.
There are some you tube videos.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Still problematic. In fact it's worse and I'm stumped - so I ordered an inspection camera.
In summary, when I first worked on #7 I changed the plug with no problem but I did not get the coil to seat snug. Now I cannot get a socket onto the plug like some gunk has moved. It looks from mirror inspection that there is a black half-moon shape 1/3rd around the base of the plug. It does not clear with degreaser or brake fluid or compressed air?
So I await the camera then perhaps you'll get a picture.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Is the black half moon, part of a coil boot?

Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If it is part of the boot it the most smallest of piece because the boot looks good. The old plug came out no problem so maybe something that fell into the hole after the new plug was installed? Camera comes Friday so stay tuned.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Or part of the valve cover spark plug seal.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Or part of the valve cover spark plug seal.

>>>>>Action
Yes. Gosh looks sort of like that and there was some oil on the coil boot. That does not look good because access is near impossible. I'm guessing to remove the valve covert to replace the seals I have to remove the fuel rail and all the other stuff?????

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
I think the hardest part of removing the valve cover is removing all of the stuff in the way.

And yes you are going to need to remove the valve cover.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited by Moderator)
Plug Seal 1.jpg
Plug Seal 2.jpg
Plug Seal 3.jpg
Here are three very bad pictures. I still don't see why I can't get a socket on the spark plug. What's your assesment? Anyway to get her on the road without a strip down?

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Is the bottom picture with the coil on?
Are these Motorcraft spark plugs?
How long has that plug been in there?

Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
IGNOR the bottom picture is a butt take. Sorry.
The spark plug is a new Autolite I just installed.
The top picture shows the obstruction which looks like as you said some part of a gasket poking up?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts