Ford Automobiles banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
There isn't a lot of space to work in there.
If you can get something long to push back the obstruction, like a screw driver or ?? that may be the solution. Then jamb the spark plug socket over the spark plug.

Otherwise you will need to remove the valve cover.

>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'ver tried moving it, would it be a no-no to try to cut or break it off. How long does it take to remove the fuel rails and all that stuff to get the cover off? have you ever done that?
Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
I have not removed a cover on a modular engine.
Even if I had, and what ever time it took me may not be the time it takes you.

Cutting the gasket/seal, likely it does not matter at this point. I believe they are leaking now. Cutting the seal may give you access to the spark plug but the seal is leaking. That leak will cause problems on the next spark plug installed.

You can delay the repair, but the situation will not get better.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Great Action. If I can get enough out of the way to get the coil on I should be on the road. I'll get back. If not, with the home isolation I do have plenty of time, it's just that constant rain here thru Sunday and a fun project and a new van getting to be bore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
NEW PHOTO and UPDATE. The obstruction around the base of plug #7 may have grown? Now when I press down on the plug wrench it springs back up, and if one tries to put the coil in it remains about 1/3rd of an inch high - IE it won't seat - but why, the obstruction is lower than the boot? IS THE PLUG NOT FULLY SEATED and is this is grunge put out from the cylinder?
image2a.jpg

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
The only thing that i can think of that is part of the coil boot
Can you pull the spark plug out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike I was so hoping by now you would be on the road. Can you get a picture of a couple other spark plugs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike will a short pice if PVC pipe with a elbow get in there so you can vacuum it out. If you can get it moving it should vac out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The only thing that i can think of that is part of the coil boot
Can you pull the spark plug out
I'm trying. That's my goal but in two days I can not get a socket on it. I would like a box spanner that i can hammer down but you know there is just no room.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You might want to measure one of the other plug holes and see how they match up also.
That's a good idea. In the morning.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Mike will a short pice if PVC pipe with a elbow get in there so you can vacuum it out. If you can get it moving it should vac out.
It's in solid. VERY STRONG. I have been cutting it (very gently as of now) with an ice pick while vacuuming. Update tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
NEW PHOTO and UPDATE. The obstruction around the base of plug #7 may have grown? Now when I press down on the plug wrench it springs back up, and if one tries to put the coil in it remains about 1/3rd of an inch high -
I wonder if it is part of the valve cover gasket.

On my to do list is to replace the plugs on my '06 5.4l
I was going to wait for the weekend and maybe I will do this sooner and get a picture.

>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I wonder if it is part of the valve cover gasket.

On my to do list is to replace the plugs on my '06 5.4l
I was going to wait for the weekend and maybe I will do this sooner and get a picture.

>>>Action
I have not been able to find a video of how to get the valve c over off else I would have done that. I think you are likely right.

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
I have looked at several pics of 5.4 3v valve covers and cylinder heads. If it is the valve cover gasket , it is only part of it and has dropped into the hole in the head. And a part that is no longer attached to the rest of the valve cover gasket. Which is different than what I was thinking.

What ever that is it needs to come out. If you have a pick, now would be a good time to reach down there and fish it out. If it is wrapped around the plug, plug removal may fish it out as well.

Now I am very interested in known what it is.

>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
I'm wondering if that cylinder has been repaired before and it didn't get done properly

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited by Moderator)
Seal come up.jpg
Plug Tool.jpg
Plug out with sharpened wrench. Photo 1

More "seal" emerges with plug. Photo 2.

What now? If I try pull it out I feel it will keep coming!

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
Some of that looks loose in there.

Can you extract any of it?
What material is it made of?

>>Action

41 - 60 of 72 Posts