Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and bought another mirror because the mirror wouldnt adjust up and down and would vibrate and shake while going down the road well i bought it before taken the mirror off and the one i bought has a light on the bottom.My question is what wires can i tie into to make the light work,does this light work with the running lights,dome light or is it part of the keyless remote.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the switch inside the door latch,spliced into it and the light on the bottom of the mirror will not light.When the door is shut ,the switch has 12volts to it but when the door is open and the domelight is on it has no power to the switch,where do i need to get power from to operate this light

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i don't know for sure, but i believe they work with the directionals...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Puddle Lamps.

Not to sound like a douche, but What year and model vehicle is this? Is it a Taurus, Explorer, fusion, ...
Usually, these operate independent of the Dome(Interior Lamp). They usually function with the Remote and [keypad] keyless systems. On a Taurus or explorer, pressing any button on the key pad will illuminate them. Pressing the Unlock on the keyless Fob will also illuminate them. They also illuminate when the doors are opened, although they are not connected directly to the door ajar switch (which is grounded when door is opened.)

These have their own output from the Central (smart, on new vehicles) Junction box. CJB (SJB). on a 2000-2007 Taurus/Sable is a White/Red wire in the top corner of the TOP most largest connector of the Fuse panel. Both Driver and passenger are spliced @ the connector from the factory.

Is it a '99 Ford explorer? Just checked autozone, IT does not have the wiring diagram for the Puddles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what light are you talking about , integrated blinker, or some other light
They are on the underside of the sideview mirror.I spliced into the wires going to the switch in the door latch thinking that would work but the dome light stayed on all the time and the light on the mirror never did work

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a guess. Take a look in your door for a while/Red wire. I don;t have a wiring manual for the explorer. I am guessing on wire color. You are looking for a wire that turns and STAYS HOT when you Fob unlock, press any keypad pad button AND open any door. You may be prewired for it, you may not be. And undo what ever you did to the door ajar switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so this light only works when you unlock the door with the remote and not everytime the dome light comes on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the door ajar switch and the dome light switch different switches or the same.I believe the wires were black?white with a red stripe.I would have to look again to make sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
So for the puddle lights, it's a black/Pink wire, in your explorers case.
That will provide power to the lamps. Yes they do illuminate when the door is opened.
But they are not directly connected to the Ajar switch. The Ajar switch is an input trigger to the GEM (Generic Electronics Module). The GEM uses that signal to trigger the Puddle relays.

Also, the GEM, which also takes inputs from the RKE (remote keyless entry) to trigger the puddles.

So you will want to restore what ever you did to the ajar switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So for the puddle lights, it's a black/Pink wire, in your explorers case.
That will provide power to the lamps. Yes they do illuminate when the door is opened.
But they are not directly connected to the Ajar switch. The Ajar switch is an input trigger to the GEM (Generic Electronics Module). The GEM uses that signal to trigger the Puddle relays.

Also, the GEM, which also takes inputs from the RKE (remote keyless entry) to trigger the puddles.

So you will want to restore what ever you did to the ajar switch.
Where would i find the black/pink wire,is it in the door to

·
Registered
798 Posts
The BK/PK wire is in connector c509.
It's located inside the door in the plug that goes to the mirror.
It comes from the Instrument Illumination dimmer module/switch connector
They look like this:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts