Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to find some advice on good clamps I can use to repair the gear-to-cooler line on my father's 04 Freestar. The line had been repaired before, before Dad acquired the van in 2012. The repair was at a short section of hose just downstream from the steering rack. the repair consisted of a piece of hose with EFI hose clamps, the kind with a bolt and nut, not a gear type hose clamp. I thought I improved the repair by getting greater embedment of the hard line into the hose and fitting two clamps on each end, but it came apart again. That original hack repair lasted 9 - 10 years and my "improved" repair lasted a few of months.

A local hydraulic shop needs more hard line length than is available between the 90* bends to get their fittings in place. I'm not sure if I can make it work with a longer section of hose replacing a length of the hard line. The changes in direction are pretty tight in that location, so it will take a closer look and more pondering. Is there and adhesive, or something similar, I could use on the steel line to glue the rubber hose to the steel and assist the clamps in maintaining a seal? Some of the replacement hoses only have band clamps on the hose to hard line connections, so there must be a way to make this work.

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are pictures of what I'm working with.

A new hose is crazy expensive, relatively speaking. Even my parts guy at the wholesaler I frequent said he didn't want to sell me one because of the cost. He suggested the hydraulic shop to repair, rather than replace. The hydraulic shop did a great job repairing the high pressure hose last spring.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This Gates version of the late build hose appears to just use band clamps, instead of the swaged and crimped fittings the Motorcraft hose uses. I'm hoping to find a clamp that I can install to provide a lasting repair.
More Information for GATES 366755

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Those smaller clamps just do not have the squeezing of a larger clamp. And the existing hose may be oil soaked so the rubber does not get a good grip on the metal lines. If you use a sealant, the used hose will not work. It has too much oil on it.

Does that flexible rubber hose need to be there between the hard lines?
Is the leak at the hose ends that are clamped?
Would fresh clamps do the trick?

Here is an $80 Motorcraft one
NEW 2004 - 2007 FORD FREESTAR MERCURY MONTEREY POWER STEERING RETURN HOSE LINE | eBay

There is another listed for $130!!!!! Yikes.

A hose shop will not use those one time use band clamps. (Gates) They will use a crimp clamp like the Motorcraft hose.

If you are going to use the existing line, I would suggest:
New hose and new clamp.
Then clean up the ends of the metal lines. That is very important.
Use a sealant, however I do not think that will make much of an impact. Couldn't hurt.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Doing more searching, I have found that Motorcraft hose at $155 (Plus tax and shipping) discounted from $250+

Plus for you, it has to go across an International border. I feel your pain.

That's crazy.

Action

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a new section of hose. The previous repair had a shorter length of hose and only one of those clamps on each end and it was done before we got the van, 9 or 10 years ago. When I got under the van the short length of hard line had popped out the hose. I'd say that the clamps were not tight enough, but you can only turn the screw so tight before the nut threads strip out. I think I might try those eared crimp ring type clamps, Oetiker Clamp, or something like that. Those do not have a threaded fastener that can back out with vibration and they will go as tight as you can squeeze the pliers. This time I have the hose completely out of the vehicle, so I'm not working under the van, laying on my back in the driveway. Working on the bench I should be able to get things cleaner and tighter. If it doesn't work this time, then I'll go back to the hydraulic shop, or get a new one. :cautious::unsure:

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
I would get a new hose as well.
Installing a new dry hose will add a little friction against the metal line as well. Also a dry new hose may be a better surface for the clamp to grip.

And compared to a new part, a new section of hose is cheap.

Action

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would get a new hose as well.
Installing a new dry hose will add a little friction against the metal line as well. Also a dry new hose may be a better surface for the clamp to grip.

And compared to a new part, a new section of hose is cheap.

Action
When doing the previous repair they sold the hose by-the-foot, so I'm good for a one, or two more attempts.;):D I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Good luck!!

Action

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. It finally got warm enough to work outside, real close to the freezing point, and I got the repaired return line installed. It is working properly and I sure hope it stays together this time. I used pinch type clamps this time and epoxied the hose to the hard lines. I think this is a best I can do, so my fingers are crossed.

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Good luck!!!!

Let us know if it works in a week or so

Action

Reactions: 70XL

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Good to hear. Getting under there isn't easy.

Action

1 - 15 of 15 Posts