Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I figured it's about time to start a build thread. It will be a bit slow, as weather and money permit, but I will start with a few before pics, and go from there. I will try to detail as much of the work as I can, and keep you all updated while it's in Paint jail. As a few of you know, I am venturing into the world of turbo's with this build and doing it in a non traditional manner. That's right folks, I'm doing up the 3.3l ( 200 ) six. I will be doing a head swap to an Aussie crossflow setup, with the plan of pushing 30 psi through it, and making about 6-700 hp and retarded amounts of torque. Anywho, I'll shoot some good pics tomorrow and post them up!

Z

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
can't wait! should be exciting, and educational...

hey i know you aren't supposed to be able to put a v8 in the inline 6 crossmember (and some of us know differently), but is there a way you can make an aftermarket one for the v8 work for the inline 6?

·
Banned
292 Posts
I will be doing a head swap to an Aussie crossflow setup, with the plan of pushing 30 psi through it, and making about 6-700 hp and retarded amounts of torque.
Z

:yikes:Only 6hp? Kinda low isnt it? Will 6hp even move the car? Personally i'd go with 200hp to 700hp but thats just me. :shocked:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool project. I'm not really familiar with the Aussie head, does it use a different rocker arm setup than the std head?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To Vamp, har de har har, you know I meant 600. Fast farmer, the rocker setup is slightly different from what I've seen, I have to do a little clearancing of the pushrod hole on the intake side, it's canted slightly. A few guys have done this swap in the US already, but I don't think they've gone turbo yet, or if they have, they aren't running a huge amount of boost like I plan on. Sadly, the weather was crappy today, supposed to be better tomorrow, will get pics then

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I've researched, the stock bottom end can handle up to 20 psi safely, since these engines have 7 main bearings. My main concern above that is going to be the rods, I have to look into getting some better ones from a company like Manley or Competition Engineering. I'm doing a crapload of research on this build before I even pull the engine for the teardown. This is gonna cost me around 9 grand to build, so you know I only wanna do this once.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You have to pay to play. With all of that it oughta pull like a freight train. WEEEEEEEEEEEPShhh, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPShhh.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I expect to get some strange looks when people hear a turbo and expect to see an import. It's gonna be fun embarassing the local ricers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hopefully you'll be able to find some off the shelf piston and rod combinations that will work for you.
Have you thought about using a 250? Those 50 extra cubes would be a plus, drawbacks would be taller engine = possible hood clearance issue, and you'd have to fabricate a rear sump pan.
I did a 250 hop-up project quite a few years ago for an old Fairlane - Clifford headers, Comp 260 cam+lifters. Project got sold before I could try out an Offy three carb conversion. I remember I had to mill about .050" from the bottom of the rocker pedistals to get the proper lifter pre-load for some reason. That's why I asked about the rockers on the Aussie heads. I can't remember if some of the very early 144s and 170s had mechanical lifters w/ajustable valvetrain.
Please don't spare us any details of your build, I'm looking forward to it!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about using a 250, but I already have the 200, so it's a budget thing for me, and I haven't been able to find a 250 in my area anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's some major boosting going on lol. If it's a budget thing than you should look at a more realistic number for the reliability aspect of you buying parts haha. Unless you don't mind on spending that kind of cash xD. Anyways sounds like a pretty mean ride once it gets done. At one point I was a huge fan of S/C over T/C but they're starting to grow on me lol. Let me know when you have some photos up as I would love to follow this build from the start :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm gonna work my way up to 30 psi, I'd be stupid to go big right away on an untested setup. I like to find the weaknesses before stuff goes kaboom lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
how do you plan on lowering compression?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
that would be overkill, and there is already a turbo kit for that engine. i think he's going for a really radical build...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a mess, this will never do. Finally got decent weather to tear into some stuff, gonna eliminate all this smog crap, it ought to run better anyway.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Woops! Wasn't supposed to be this big. Pretty clean valvetrain for a 30 year old engine

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Anyone know where I can get a repop sticker?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

What do you guys think, flat black, or try to polish it up?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts