Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 79 Ford Fairmont Futura a few months ago with intentions of making a street strip car. I am thinking of going with a Buick Grand National-style all black paint job, maybe with flat black accent stripes.

One of the reasons people are fixing up these fairmonts is the ease of modifying them. You basically have a fox body mustang in sheeps clothing. Just about everything is interchangable except body panels.

What would you do here:

You could more easily go with a ford engine, bolt it right into a new tubular k member and use store bought headers. HOWEVER I HAVE A GUY **GIVING** ME A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY 350 4 BOLT MAIN (that needs rebuilt).... and i do NOT have a ford engine. He is trying to talk me into using it in the fairmont

The Pros of the SBF: directly interchangeable, headers fit, Hi perf 302's are easy to find and sorta cheap. you're more likely to get help from ford mustang forums if you go with a ford engine, the folks at some of the ford message boards kind of just shut down on you and clam up when you're chevy powered.

The Cons of the SBF: cost more to rebuild/modify/work on (for the engine itself), you're most likely not gonna go as fast for the same amount of money.

The Pros of using a 350 chevy engine: I get the engine free, but it needs rebuilt (4 bolt main) Easy to rebuild, cheap to rebuild, more power for the buck, i can attend super chevy shows with the ford bodied car, or i can attend fun ford weekend with chevy powered ford.

The Cons of using a chevy 350: You have to modify the new tubular k member to accept the engine. you have to get headers made $$$$$$, you have to modify or make a transmission mount, you have to get a custom length driveshaft (most likely), you're gonna have a lot of people hatin' on you because you've chevied up a ford., you probably have to use a custom wire harness, there may be other clearance issues and difficulties, including hood (which i plan to have a cowl hood anyway, so)

so to make a long story short, do you make it chevy powered and save $$$ on the engine and stuff, with the drawback of having to spend more on the chassis, or do you make it ford powered and go ahead and spend the $$ on the engine, but save money on the chassis?

I'm starting to lean toward ford power because the initial reason i bought a fairmont was because of ease of build and wanting something different without sacrificing ease of build. thats what the fairmont is good for. seems like to me if i go chevy power, i've missed the whole reason i bought the thing.

Anyone wanna talk me out of it or agree with me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd use the sbf for the ease of everything involved, parts everywhere,all kinds of advice from this forum and FEP. Also I think the cost of buying or rebuilding a sbf would cancel out the free sbc and the major cost to modify it to fit and the power glide trans,mounts headers and who know what else. I agree with your sticking with the Ford swap.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
1,035 Posts
Its your car, do as you wish with it.
But this sounds like you will spend the same money and have pretty much the same work into both options.
I have done a cheap build and now an expensive one on two Fairmonts powered by Ford. I say stay with Ford with Ford power. I think it will be same money and easy swap .
It really does not take much power to make these cars fly and have a great time driving it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not so sure you'll have to get specially made headers. It all depends on your engine compartment.. A mid range cam with lifter will cost you somewhere around 250. I'll tell you now ..Unless you plan on kicking out 7000 rpms out of that SBC. You DON'T need a single plane manifold. And Edelbrock performer works best on a SB chevy that is running under 7000 RPM's.. The biggest problem you'll have is with the engine mounts. Find out what head are on there. If you got 202's with a 64 cc you got LT-1 heads. definitely worth rebuilding.. If the rods & crank are good then it won't cost much to rebuild.. new bearings & rings & you'll be good to go... Keep in mind with a 4 bolt main sbc you can get 9000 rpm's out of it...

P.S. You should take that motor whether you use it or not. Especially if it's got 202 heads.. You can sell it out right for a good penny & get your ford engine...

·
Registered
205 Posts
My $0.02

As far as ease of work, I gotta agree with the guys recommending you stick with a Ford powerplant. You can drop in a 5.0 using a tubular k-member and a wiring harness from RJM Injection or from Ford Racing (the RJM harness is a bit less expensive AND incorporates their EGR delete), and you'll have a ready-made rocket before making any serious mods. Up the ante with a 351 or a 392 (maybe topped off with a dash of nitrous or forced induction), and you've got a true terror. This can all be done while keeping the engine fuel injected which is great for tuneability and efficiency (no doubt I riled up some carburetor fans with that one!).
As for the issue of the Chevy engine in a Ford car, my opinion (and this is JUST an opinion) is that it's more appropriate in the 50's and older models (especially the Deuce Coupes and the T's) than in anything newer. With that in mind, I think you'd probably find quite a few of the Bowtie crowd disapproving the combination, though I could be wrong.

·
Banned
292 Posts
I bought a 79 Ford Fairmont Futura a few months ago with intentions of making a street strip car. I am thinking of going with a Buick Grand National-style all black paint job, maybe with flat black accent stripes.
Check out Fastfarmer's Zephyr, i think that may be what yer looking for. You can view it in this thread
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/ford-fairmont/1610-2010-bash-pics.html or in his albums here Ford Forums Online - Ford Discussion & Enthusiast Forum

If i EVER get the video transfered to disc or a puter i'll post it on the road..

As for the engine, stick with ford. You got several engines for sale in Greenville. Even a '84 351W ! (Stymee!!)
But like Stymee says, it is YOUR car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
a quote from my dad "Chevy, like a rock it doesn't move" i know he didnt start that but its still funny. lol

Dodge - the womans truck (cause its got curves)
Chevy - when you want dead weight
Ford - something to pull that dead weight with. haha

·
Registered
890 Posts
you know what i want to see? a ford engine in a chevy car! never happens to my knowledge...

·
Registered
262 Posts
a quote from my dad "Chevy, like a rock it doesn't move" i know he didnt start that but its still funny. lol

Dodge - the womans truck (cause its got curves)
Chevy - when you want dead weight
Ford - something to pull that dead weight with. haha
You're tapping into my old drag racing days..

FORD
found on road dead, F^$#ed over rebuilt dodge,
Ford backwards Driver returns on foot..

Then there's always. Ashes to ashes dust to dust. If it wasn't for Ford my tools would rust..:)

What ever cherry you decide to install. Having fun & being proud of what you've done is all that matters. If someone doesn't want to give you info just because you have a chevy in a ford or vice versa. Then you don't need that persons help anyhow..They're very shallow & taking this Chevy Ford rivalry too far & too literal.. After all it could always be worse. You could be trying to rebuild a :yikes:Corvette..:yikes: But I still say @ the very least take the motor & sell it.. It would go a long way into helping you put your Ford power plant in..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
FWIW, I recently saw a pic of a Dodge big block swapped into a 69 Camaro. If you wanna swap in a chev, go ahead, there's a guy on another forum I frequent that has a Pontiac powered Futura, so it not like it's been done. The only one you gotta make happy is you. I personally prefer a Ford powered Ford

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
One of the reasons people are fixing up these fairmonts is the ease of modifying them. You basically have a fox body mustang in sheep's clothing. Just about everything is interchangeable except body panels.
actually we can switch body panels with them too.

these are the perfect cars to do whatever you want with because most people don't even know what it is, and if it's like mine the only way they'll recognize it is when they see the taillights disappear...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
FWIW, I recently saw a pic of a Dodge big block swapped into a 69 Camaro. If you wanna swap in a chev, go ahead, there's a guy on another forum I frequent that has a Pontiac powered Futura, so it not like it's been done. The only one you gotta make happy is you. I personally prefer a Ford powered Ford
don't forget about the LS powered 'mont
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9uU_3VHT0]YouTube - Worlds quickest STOCK LS based Motor[/ame]

·
Registered
184 Posts
the ls goes into almost anything, even have a carb intake for them.... but you can get a ford engine at a boneyard or craigslist or a local machine shop for what you would put into the chev engine. there is alot of competition with crate engines now that they are really cheap

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the ls goes into almost anything, even have a carb intake for them.... but you can get a ford engine at a boneyard or craigslist or a local machine shop for what you would put into the chev engine. there is alot of competition with crate engines now that they are really cheap
i liked an episode of horsepower TV, where they were rebuilding an LS1. when they put a carb on it, they had to put a FORD 302 distributor into it, or it wouldn't work...

·
Registered
534 Posts
t bird 350

i liked an episode of horsepower TV, where they were rebuilding an LS1. when they put a carb on it, they had to put a FORD 302 distributor into it, or it wouldn't work...
I was at a friends house outside near the rural street and one of his neighbors pulled into the street. he goosed it good. when he went by we looked at each other and said," thats not a ford engine" we determined that cause the sound of the engine and the shift points of the trans were completely different than the ford trans. so it can be done with good results.There has got to be something with that idea. Ive seen a lot of ford 40's and t buckets that have that same combo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMHO the notion that Chevys are cheaper to build than Fords has gone out the window in the last 20 years. Things are vastly different now than back in the 70s when we were scrounging the boneyards for 351w heads to swap onto our 302s. Everything you need to build a stout Ford is avalable at competitive prices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did mine - AJE k-frame with a 289. You can get your k-frame with small block chevy mounts and bolt everything right in, but the double hump cross member for the trans bolts right in and my c4 and 289 bolted right in. I bought my Fairmont with NOTHING but a rear end and I couldn't see putting Chevy in Ford. Besides, Ford parts have come WAY down and I agree with the previous post - Chevy rebuilds used to be cheaper, but not so much anymore. Take a look at my photo album for pics of the k-frame, etc.... Also, they are right in telling you that ANYTHING for a Mustang 79-93 will bolt right in. Mine has a 9", full cage, frame ties, AJE k-frame, a-arms. I am very happy with ride height and looks. AND it's for sale..........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts