Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When pulling a 3.3L I6 with a C4 from a Fairmont are there any specifics to look for?

Can the engine and transmission be pulled as a unit or do they have to be separated ?

Does the hood have to come off? Any other parts of the car?

Do I have to lift the front of the car off the ground and how much? I'm sure I will to even get the hoist under the front of the car.

I've only pulled engines out of trucks with the front clips removed where there was plenty of room.

·
Banned
292 Posts
hood off yes.. radiator good idea (as to not puncture it), you should be able to pull both as one unit, but just in case seek others advice on that... might as well take the crossmember out also........
but MORE IMPORTANTLY LABEL EVERYTHING if not take a crap load of pics.. oh yea, get the biggest ziploc baggies u can find for them little nuts/screws/bolts/thingamabobbers. I took the 302 out of my '65 galaxie then stalled on the project and gave the car away... guy called up 6months later and said he found EVERY bolt/nut etc for the re-install in the bags..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Follow Vamps advice in pulling the radiator... You can pull it out as a complete unit if you want. But if you're not doing any work on the trans. Then no need to pull it. Just drop the drive shaft & pull it back.. If you do pull it out as a unit. Make sure your cherry picker can handle the weight...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Now I can post pictures!

I put mine in and out without the radiator in the car.
If the tranny is already out, put them in together.
That way the bolting up is easier.

Now I can post pictures!

·
Registered
534 Posts
5. No why would you need it off the ground?
unless youre arms are six feet long, you will have to get underneath to loosen u-bolts for the driveshaft,crossmember bolts,etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pulling and installing the engine and trans as a unit is the easiest way to do it in my opinion,also like vamp says label everything and use ziploc bags for nuts and bolts.

·
Super Moderator
1,035 Posts
Lift the car high enough to get under it. Take the hood off, take rad. out, Take tranny cross-member out, drop all the exhaust, and lift the engine with the tranny.
Take lots of pictures before anything, label everything, bag the loose stuff and label. Have a friend there to help, and take your time. It will pop right out easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i usually unbolt the trans and pull the engine out with the torque converter attached. it lightens the load and makes it easier to get out for me. then i take out the trans through the engine bay. just hand it over the fender to someone. when i get ready i bolt it all together and reinstall it as one. that's just my preference. i'm not really sure why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's been quite a few years since I did an engine swap on my '78 Fairmont. As I remember, certainly the hood and radiator come off. The car will have to be raised for work underneath to disconnect various mounts, drive shaft, exhaust and wiring. If the engine and trans. are pulled as a unit, you have to have the car elevated high enough for the high angle of the assembly to clear the front of the car without the tail shaft hitting the ground. I think pulling them as separate pieces is the best procedure. I have the original Ford service books available if you need specifics. In my case, I was converting from a 2.3L 4 cyl. to the 3.3L 6cyl. I discovered that Ford had two different sub frames depending on which engine was installed. It was a challenge to make front engine mounts for the 6 cyl. Additionally, I still have many parts left over. You need anything?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't looked at the transmission crossmember. So that has to come out too? Couldn't I just unbolt the transmission from it and leave it in place?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't looked at the transmission crossmember. So that has to come out too? Couldn't I just unbolt the transmission from it and leave it in place?
No It will be easier to pull the entire unit out by removing the cross member..I would pull the cross member last & have the cherry picker already attached & slightly lifted to remove any weight off the cross member.

·
Registered
102 Posts
another thing is if you don't have any help. which is my usual position. you will want to lift more from the back to even out the weight then when you get the trans crossmember out you can set it all down and get it more at the front to get the angle you need.

·
Registered
534 Posts
yes, thats best cause the cross member will not let you angle the assembly to remove, also same problem when you reinstall

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
unless youre arms are six feet long, you will have to get underneath to loosen u-bolts for the driveshaft,crossmember bolts,etc
the the u bolts are for a 9in.. on the monts, there are 4 bolts that go to the axle, 12mm 12pt. heads.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if you really want to go the cheap way, ask Vamp for a picture of his "modified" crossmember. he bought the car that way lol...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts