Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I have a 1978 Ford Granada. 302 and 4 speed. (although I do plan swapping in a newer built 302 but that's not relevant to my question).
I think the car would look sweet with some bigger wheels. (24 inch)
On the front it's simple, I can just use standard spring spacers that you can buy at any auto parts store to lift it up 2 inches for more clearence.
On the rear I have leaf springs. I understand that I need a lift block kit.Something like THIS
For the life of me, I can't find one for this car. Does anyone have experience lifting this car?
I am sure there is some lift kit out there that will work, but I have no idea where to even begin.

Here's a picture if you wanted to see it. Definitely a work in progress.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

I bought a 78 Granada brand new. The only car I ever bough brand new. However I do not remember if the rear axle is over or under the leaf springs. If the axle is under the springs a kit like that could work.

And brake lines, parking brake cables & shocks may be an issue for complete axle movement

>>>Action

Reactions: TheBabyDerp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

I bought a 78 Granada brand new. The only car I ever bough brand new. However I do not remember if the rear axle is over or under the leaf springs. If the axle is under the springs a kit like that could work.

And brake lines, parking brake cables & shocks may be an issue for complete axle movement
Honestly not sure. It's sitting at the shop right now so I can't check.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The axle is over the leaf spring.
Removing the axle and bolting under the leaf spring could work.
Or change out the shackles in the back like these

Not sure if the handling will be negatively impacted.
Interesting. The shackle route seems like it would be the least time consuming Those universal shackles you linked look pretty good and some people used them to lift. Should I be able to use those same ones? I don't see any reason why they wont work. All of those different holes on there I'm assuming I would be able to get a little bit of lift. **** only would be 30 bucks for 2. Thanks for the link man. And yes, it will negatively impact handling Higher center of gravity always will make things worse. But if I wanted handling, I wouldn't be here talking about a Granada. Ironically enough, I traded a NB miata for this car. That thing was perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
Those shackles are old school
I have seen those on cars of the 40s & 50s
Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
No worries. We all learn. Sometimes I forget what I used to know. Which is the case for this situation.

I had forgotten about those until Onceler posted that pic. Some kudos to him.

Action

Reactions: TheBabyDerp
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.