Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be clear, this ONLY happens during rainfall (and heavy rainfall at that), not when I'm running the heat or AC. Water is leaking from the vents onto the floor. I do not think it is a structural/body issue, because the water appears to be coming directly from the vents, not any kind of roof leak.

The two areas I could find are the passenger side (behind the driver's seat) and the rear for sure.

What could be the issue / what do I check? Am pretty new at checking my own vehicle, I would take it to a shop but they are booked through March.

2005 Ford E350 XL Passenger van.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
I am having issues wrapping my mind around what you posted, so I am going to state what first comes to my thoughts.

When it rains the humidity is very high.
Part of the job of the HVAC system is to remove moisture.
When this is happening, the moisture condenses and becomes water and goes out of the vehicle via a drain hose
Should the hose become restricted the water will leak onto the floor. Usually the front floor.

However, you have stated the water is on the rear floor of a 2005 passenger van.
Does it have rear heat and/or AC?
Which rear seat? The area just behind the front row or some other area?

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the water is by the vents. There is one vent by the very rear, behind the rearmost back bench seat. In that area, there was a lot of water on the floor. There is another vent by the second row passenger bench seat. In that area, there was also a lot of wate on the floor. It seems to be coming from the vents themselves.

It does have rear heat and AC, but the water leakage does not appear to be tied to AC or heat use, only rain, as it was leaking when the engine was not turned on.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
If your post (#3) above is correct, then this statement is incorrect.

"I do not think it is a structural/body issue, because the water appears to be coming directly from the vents, not any kind of roof leak."

Just because the water is coming out of the vent only means that is where you see it. What you don;t see is a structural/body leak

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so do you believe it is a structural/body leak?

And IF it is an AC system/evaporator drain issue, what might I check in order to diagnose the issue?

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
If watwer is getting into the vehicle when the vehicle is not operating, especially with the statement of "lot of water on the floor" in a back seat area .... that is not an AC thing.

Diagnosis -
First would be to do a close visual inspection of metal panel joints and window seals. That may mean getting up on a ladder or something of that nature to look at the roof to side joint. Any gaps at all in those areas needs to be sealed.

All rubber window seals or other seals can be lubricated or treated and that may fix the leak as well.

Action

1 - 7 of 7 Posts