Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy to have found this site! I have a 2000 Excursion with over 300,000 miles on it, so I will be asking LOTS of questions here.

There is a horrible rattling and clanking sound coming from the front end. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? With 300,000 miles, it could be just about anything! It happens when I'm driving at any speed but when I turn a corner it stops or maybe is just quieter & I can't here it as well. Also, it clunks pretty badly when I go over bumps. I don't know if the two are related or not.

Thanks for any answers!

·
Registered
262 Posts
When was the last time you had your suspension serviced??? If it's been over 75,000 miles then I'll bet you need a new front suspension. ball joints, Tie rod ends, Bushings, Strut assm/shocks, maybe a rack & pinion... First apply emergency brake then jack up the front of the truck until the tires is off the ground. Grab the front & rear of the tire firmly & move tire in & out. If you have movement then the tie rods need replacement. Now grab the top & bottom of tire & move tire in an up & down motion. Again if you have movement. Then Ball joints are worn. Your struts/shocks are probably shot. There are also many other steering & suspension parts for a truck that must be inspected & possibly replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts