Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
speedometer jumping and banging coming from rear of truck, vibration at 40 miles per hour and greater can someone tell me how to troubleshoot my rear end 1994 f-150 4wd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speedometer only jumps when accelerating put new u joints in on friday still bangs , only went to store going to take it out on highway today

·
Registered
26 Posts
on alot of the newer trucks they have a balancing weight on the driveshaft and if it comes off somehow then it will cause a vibration at a certain speed and keep getting worse as you drive it. as for the speedo on it you could have your sppedo cable going bad or the little gear on the cable going into the tailhousing of the tranny wearing out cause they aint nothing but a plastic gear

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
You have this sensor in your rear axle housing they normally get dirt and grime on them change rear axle lube replace or clean sensor,I'd replace it.
On the clunking noise check and see if you have play in the rear axle by turning the pinion yoke and see if you have slop in it.
I could be the pin moving in the gear case that allows the banging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
speedometer jumping and banging coming from rear of truck, vibration at 40 miles per hour and greater can someone tell me how to troubleshoot my rear end 1994 f-150 4wd
Excessive vibration above 40 MPH can be caused by a BENT axle shaft. Park on level concrete pad, block front wheels on front and rear sides, Jack one rear wheel off the ground by 2 inches.

Start truck and slip into drive at idle speed. Sit in drivers seat, waiting to lock brakes if truck starts moving. Have a helper stand behind car and watch the rear wheel spin. Look closely at grooves on tire, and you will see wobble if it is there.

Repeat process for the other side of rear.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts