Rebuild engine and restore engine bay 67 Fairlane | Page 2 | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Rebuild engine and restore engine bay 67 Fairlane

Discussion in 'Ford Fairlane' started by 67-Fairlane Tim, May 4, 2020.

1. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Don't worry about this numbers.
    That alternator case is all 12 volt.
    And should be very cheap compared to other things you will or may do.

You will have choices for amp rating. From memory 38, 42, 55, 60 and many be more. If there is no difference in price get the highest amp. If you have AC (factory or add on get over 50 amp)

>>>>Action
    67-Fairlane Tim likes this.
  2. Action

Here is a good read for first gen Ford alternator
    https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/motorcraft-alternators

>>>Action
  3. Action

And looking at the alternator pic you posted that wiring is in poor shape. The crimp on connectors are OK for the smaller wire. IF they are tight. Personally I am not a fan of crimp connecters that are exposed to the outside.

There is a larger black or yellow wire that attaches at the red grommet terminal on the alternator. This is where all of the power comes out to charge the batter and run the vehicle. It is a larger wire for a reason. I would solder that connector. The other end of that larger wire goes to the same terminal on the starter relay as the + battery cable end. And the other two wires.

>>>>>Action
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 8:11 PM
  4. 67-Fairlane Tim

67-Fairlane Tim Member

I agree, I am practicing how to join wires as I have other connections that are just broken or fell apart when I took the engine out.

Thanks for the tips.... very helpful!
  5. Action

Oh and a post script on the starter relay. As you look at the picture ….
    The large lug on the right side has one large cable that goes to the starter motor.
    The small post on the right goes through an engine wiring harness to the coil + side
    The small post on the left side goes through the same engine wiring harness and is from the ignition switch.
    The large lug on the left side is where many wires connect. The end of the battery + cable. Anything that was connected to the battery + cable at the battery.

I have attached a better picture of the relay. (Even though the author of the picture calls it a solenoid. Electrically it is a relay) This should give you a better ide on wiring.

The relay you have was used on certain Ford light trucks and later cars (late 1980s and later) with electronic ignition. If you were restoring and wanted a period correct relay there are markings that would be correct for 67. I don't think that is what you are looking for. But if you were the Pony car guys have pages and pages of that stuff that translates to other models as well. Like your Fairlane.

I am working on updating my '66 Continental's engine compartment. So the period exact stuff is rather interesting. But I have weird interests in cars according to my teenager.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

image-2854189306.jpg
  6. 67-Fairlane Tim

67-Fairlane Tim Member

Thanks for explaining all this. However, before I change this I wanted to share two other components that were bolted to the shock tower... coil and what I think is a resistor. I wanted to share this to see if these are also original and or if they are compatible with the photo you sent.

Really appreciate the education on this! 8DD5222F-A6DE-4492-B171-19F39915A603.jpeg
  7. 67-Fairlane Tim

67-Fairlane Tim Member

Oh... and my starter motor has a solenoid switch built into it. From what I read some of the older fords did not have a solenoid on the starter motor, some did and some had two solenoid switches, one on the starter motor and one like the one in your picture.

Thoughts?
  8. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Your should be like this awww.rockauto.com_info_71_N3185_ANG__ra_p.jpg
    It's a magnetic pull down not a solenoid
  9. 67-Fairlane Tim

67-Fairlane Tim Member

Dominick, yes this is what mine looks like. Thank you for correcting me. Just when I think I am getting this figured out. :)

Cheers!
    Dominick 1 likes this.
  10. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

67-Fairlane Tim likes this.
  11. Action

Very few FLM engines used a solenoid. They were limited to high compression big blocks. Pictured is the starter for my 70 Mark III with a 460. The cylinder on the top is a solenoid. And that set up does NOT have a starter relay.

The parts you show bolted to the shock tower are not stock. Some one has added those. The white block on the left is a resister block. Have no idea what the black box with red stickers might be.

Does your car have the stock ignition system with points?

Action

3142.jpg
  12. 67-Fairlane Tim

67-Fairlane Tim Member

44853202-A530-486A-BEC6-24CACCC15288.jpeg Hi Action,

After some research the ignition system is not stock and is not the point system. The distributor and the“black” box (coil) are both from Mallory and it require a ballast resistor. So that is the other piece. Here is the picture of the distributor.

From the reading I have done it cysts down on the maintenance and challenges with a point system. While it is not stock I think I will keep it. Especially looking at the price :). With all this said would anyone know the are other things dependent on this I need to watch out for... if I change back to stock on some of the electrical components?

Thanks again Action!

As for your engine... man I bet that call hall ass!

My c4 transmission has been rebuilt and I should get my rebuilt 289 next week.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    Action likes this.