Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a broader Performance 500HP rebuild kit and TCI 2600 stall. Trans shifts great through all gears. I ran the engine for a minute with cooler lines disconnected at trans and have nothing. There is 14qts including pre-filling the converter and also has a +1qt deep pan. My book called for 13.3qt. The check valve and spring in the pump which is infamous for sticking closed have been removed and the chamber drilled out to .343". Pump must be pumping since I have line pressure for shifting. What is the actual procedure for testing line pressure? I have required pressure but no procedure.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like you have good line pressure. The cooler lines do not run at line pressure though. They are much less than that. The fluid exits the TC and travels to the cooler then goes back into the trans and into the pan. If your TC is a smaller one with a higher stall it may not generate enough pressure at idle to flow to the cooler. Try it at higher RPM and see what happens.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ripped it out already. blew through the entire thing and there are no blockages. It is a smaller converter, 11". I was instructed by the Broader Performance manual to remove the check ball and spring from the stator to allow greater flow. Seems like fluid would rather just exit there than go to cooler. I don't have a temp gauge for trans yet but I it was pretty darn warm. Having a 2600 stall, does that mean I wont get flow unless I'm over 2600? That's not good cuz I cruise at about 2200. Sounds like I may have to look into getting the 3.73 gears earlier than expected.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would put the check valve back in and see what that does for your flow. Taking it out doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The fluid will have more resistance to flow through the cooler so it will just bypass it. Unless you are supposed to block it off so ALL the fluid goes to the cooler. Problem there is if the cooler got blocked by something the fluid would have no place to vent. Nope I think I would go back to the check ball and spring.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree with Canuck623. taking out the ball and spring does seem like a bad idea.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Would you have the wrong valve body or separator gasket on it.
If they don't align with the body and plate it will block the flow off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts