Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone relocated their filler tube inside the trunk? Getting really tired of nursing gas into the car each time. And recently it was dripping out and bubbled the paint below. So that finalized my decision to do something about it.

I just ordered a weld on bung and filler cap from Tanks Inc since it was 24.50 plus tax and shipping for the two. I have some 2" exhaust pipe that I was thinking of miter cutting to angle back up to flat and connect with the stock hose. Then possibly weld a strap on each side where I can attach it to the two holes in the trunk latch support. It would act as a brace and ground strap.
I see kits available that look pretty cheesy and cost hundreds of dollars.

Unless someone has a better option from experience? Gas Composite material Household hardware Nickel Metal

Steve

· Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
411 Posts
That has been a long talked about subject for some time on our cars.
Some fixes are to install a vent tube and fuel inlet restrictor.

Reactions: Action

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. One thing I forgot to mention as I forgot myself, was the most paint damage was done when I patiently filled up at the gas station and under hard acceleration the gas would spill out and run down the back panel. I think the design of the Falcon filler neck has a few flaws. It's shallow from the top of the tank (which is the trunk floor) and the bottom of the fill hole as compared to other cars. So since it's a reversible modification I'm going to fabricate another fill pipe (filler neck and cap already ordered) and try the inside non vented vertical version to see how that works out. In the meantime I'll be researching where to get the restrictor as junk yards are shrinking around here.

In reference of the restrictor, how does that actually work? I'm guessing only during filling, it won't stop fuel from pouring out under acceleration. BTW I did check the vent tube and it's open, perhaps too small but open nevertheless.

Thanks for the feedback
Steve

· Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
411 Posts
As for my falcon (67) I have the same problem with spillage when filling up and spillage when driving. So far, my fix until I redo the filler neck and add a vent is I only fill up 1/2 tank. I plan on fixing mine this spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts