Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am going to replace my windshield on my 67 Fairlane but can’t seem to find a seal online.
If there isn’t one to obtain, how have other people address sealing the windshield.

thank you

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I believe the seal is Butyl. Comes in rolls. This pic was taken from Amazon.
There is some labor in removing the old stuff.
Look in shop manual to confirm.

517q87i0g8L._AC_.jpg

Action

Reactions: 67-Fairlane Tim

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I don't have that answer.
I would suggest getting a shop manual.

Then take pics and/or make a video and post.

Action

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Action and @Dominick 1. I figured out how to remove the trim. It is all bolted or screwed. Here are the steps for the pieces, from what I can tell they come off in this order
1. Remove top piece - top of windshield.
1a. The chrome on the inside must be remove first. There are screws holding the inside piece so remove this first.
1b. Next to remove the top outside piece of chrome there are 5 nuts you need to remove on the inside.

2.Next remove the side pieces of chrome.
2a. There are two screw holding in the rubber seals where the front of your door closes. One on top and one on the bottom.
2b. Once you remove the rubber seal there are 4 more screw holding the chrome piece in. Remove these 4 screws.
2.c important to remember how the top, side and bottom pieces all overlap and where. So take photos and notes.

3. Next is the bottom piece of chrome
3a. You have to remove, what looks like a grill, the piece that your wipers are coming out of. This has to come off, as the screws for the chrome can only be accessed from here. So you have to remove your wipe blades first.

3.Once the chrome screws are exposed you can remove them and you have finished!

Much more work thank I thought, rewarding all the same.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I have two convertibles.
I had the windshield replaced on one by a mobile service.
The other one needs glass but so many other things need my attention the windshield is low on the list

Thanks SO much for this information

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
The glop of sealer on the upper right A pillar looks like someone had a come back after the initial windshield installation. (In a different thread)
That amount of sealer is not needed if the initial sealer is placed correctly.

Other things you can do to help keep water out of the car.
Wax the windshield header and sides. Those chrome pieces
Use RainX or a similar product on the glass.
Use a leather/rubber conditioner or dressing on the rubber seal for the top. A Meguiars leather conditioner or similar product

Those things will not fix large holes into the interior. However they go a long way to shedding water away from the vehicle. They become the first barrier to the enviroment to keep things off of or out of your car. Added layers of barriers help keep the condition of your ride in better shape.

Action

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of the bottom piece of chrome taken off. You will see the clips inside the chrome piece, they actually slide left and right.

@Action happy I can help u with some info for a change :)

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Again a major reseal mess on the bottom.
A correctly installed glass will not have that mess at the bottom.

Taking that glass out??
Make sure to remove all of the old sealer. Leave nothing in the opening.

Action

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The windshield is out. Here were some learning

1.Helpful to build a stand to put the windshield to protect it after you take it out. As you will likely need to clean it. Here is a screen shot of the simple one I built.

2 A lot of sites suggested to use piano wire to cut the seal, I found guitar stings work just as good. However, if they have too much “glue”, sealer it tended to stick back together. So I did a lot of “scraping out the old “gunk” on both sides of my windshield first. It is a lot of work but it was worth it.

3.After I felt I had a section of the glue out and I should fit a thin scraper under my windshield then I sprayed wd-40 in there. The lubricant reacted to the glue where it did not stick back together.

4. Big principle… slow and steady.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts