Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have a 64 Falcon Futura Conv. 6 cyl. I'm replacing the rear end (currently a 3.50 : 1) with a 2.83. In order to reuse my new rear brakes, I need to change the backing plates. Which means pulling the axles. I removed the axles & backing plates from the old rear end easily enough. The axles came right out. But the axles on the replacement rear will not budge. I Have a high quality axle puller. Not moving at all. Question: How do I know if the replacement rear end has "C" clips holding the axles in? I was inside the ham to change fluid and clean everything. However I did not notice and clips or retainers. Attached is a pic of the replacement rear. Can someone please enlighten me how to remove the axles? Thanks Much. (yes I did remove the 4 nuts behind the axle) .
The replacement rear is a WCY-R. It also has # C55W4025-A stamped (C might be a G)
The second line on the tag says 2.83 5AA 909.
Photograph Font Screenshot Technology Space

·
Registered
100 Posts
that is not a 8 or 9 inch that was in your falcon i think that is a mopar rear axel i dont think your backing plates will work if your original is a ford rear need some more info and pictures of both

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
your pic is of a live axle---no diff. if it had a differential, you would remove the pinion axle, push the wheel axles in and remove the c clips

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why do you want to replace the entire axle? If the gears that you need are available, it might be easier to just replace your existing gears with gears of the desired ratio. Even if you have to pay a shop to do the work, it might be the best option in the long run

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks like a 6 cyl rear but hard to tell with that picture being so close. Also can you take another after turning the diff 90 degrees? If you removed the 4 bolts on the axle and there a was a plate that is separate from the backing plate then you don't have c clips. That plate would be for holding the axles in. And most likely the bearing is just rusted inside the housing. You would need a slide hammer with the attachment to mount to the lug bolts and slide hammer it out. make sure the car is on solid stands!

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
it
That looks like a 6 cyl rear but hard to tell with that picture being so close. Also can you take another after turning the diff 90 degrees? If you removed the 4 bolts on the axle and there a was a plate that is separate from the backing plate then you don't have c clips. That plate would be for holding the axles in. And most likely the bearing is just rusted inside the housing. You would need a slide hammer with the attachment to mount to the lug bolts and slide hammer it out. make sure the car is on solid stands!

Steve
its not a ford rear end you cant take a rear cover off unless its an 8.8 rear but there is no c clips there is no axis hole

·
Registered
5 Posts
8.8 is the new ford rear that replaced the 9" pumpkin rear axles. In the early 60's Ford had 3 passenger car axles. One for 6 cylinder cars pictured in this ebay ad 1964 1/2 1965 1966 & Other Ford Mustang 6 cyl 7 1/4" Rear End Housing Only OEM | eBay, the 8" that came in V8 Falcons, Fairlanes and Mustangs, and the 9" that came in fullsized fords and perfomance mustangs like the HiPo 65-66 and later hi performance cars.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is an exploded view of your rear axle. It doesn't have "C" clips to hold the axles in like a 10, 12 bolt Chevy or Ford 8.8". The bearings are pressed onto the axles with a locking collar with a retaining plate sandwiched in between. Remove the 4 retaining nuts to pull out the axles. If they are stubborn hit it with some rust buster let it soak. If you can sneak 2 nuts in between the backing plate and retaining plate tighten them so it will keep the backing plate from coming off and messing up the brake line but it might be too tight. Then you can either put the drums on backwards with the other 3 nuts facing opposite (tapers out) and use the drum as a slide hammer. If that doesn't work use the puller attachment for a slide hammer shown below and it will come out whether it wants to or not! It might help to have the opposite tire on the ground if you don't have the car solid on stands as it could shift trying to get them out.

Good luck!
Steve

Auto part Bicycle part Font Tool Titanium

1 - 8 of 8 Posts