Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have a 1962 Falcon 4-door wagon. It appears that the mounting point for the hinge on the left side of the tailgate has cracked, because when I move the tailgate back and forth with it nearly closed, I can see the hinge flexing. There are two very strong springs that are used to counterbalance the tailgate and I will have to remove these in order to take off the tailgate to have it welded.

Have any of you every removed and reinstalled these springs? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Action,

I have the shop manual and I don't believe that it addresses this issue. I guess the mechanics are just supposed to know how to do it. That's why I was hoping that someone else has dealt with this during their restoration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the '64 shop manual; maybe it is a little clearer.
1) Remove the spring access cover
2)From inside the vehicle and with the tailgate ion the closed position, insert a 12" screwdriver through the hooked end of the spring and into the hole provided in the member, and unhook the spring from the retaining pin.
3) Unhook the spring from the tailgate strap and remove the spring.
4) Remove the strap from the counterbalance spring strap hook.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That sounds like just what I need. I'll get in there and give it a try when I line up someone to do the welding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the '64 shop manual; maybe it is a little clearer.
1) Remove the spring access cover
2)From inside the vehicle and with the tailgate ion the closed position, insert a 12" screwdriver through the hooked end of the spring and into the hole provided in the member, and unhook the spring from the retaining pin.
3) Unhook the spring from the tailgate strap and remove the spring.
4) Remove the strap from the counterbalance spring strap hook.
Hi ,now fast forward to 2021 i have the same vehicle , i got them off for repainting of my car and repaired one of the attachment points on the tailgate, now putting them back on is a different matter, a pry bar or screwdriver will not work as these springs have a lot of tension, any ideas?
thanks John

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks. That sounds like just what I need. I'll get in there and give it a try when I line up someone to do the welding.
Hi just checking, did you ever get these things back on as i am at the same stage with my 2 door 62 wagon? any tips greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I never did get the gate fixed. So far, it's holding up alright. If it ever does have a problem, I guess I'll have to address it at that time. I think that some of the ideas that were offered here in the forum will probably give you the info that you need. Sorry that I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I did this to my wagon and it not easy but can be done with a long enough pry bar it might take you a couple times trying but you can get it back on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, I never did get the gate fixed. So far, it's holding up alright. If it ever does have a problem, I guess I'll have to address it at that time. I think that some of the ideas that were offered here in the forum will probably give you the info that you need. Sorry that I couldn't help more.
Well I figured it out and I will attach pictures. Its just the basic drum brake spring tool, just has to have a wide spread. It takes some force but it is worth doing as it makes the tailgate operate so much smoother. Cheers!

91A20C04-DCBF-4970-BDF5-E2B0F41826D7.jpeg
9DFA86A6-1F49-4FCD-9353-AEA91A18BEF0.jpeg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great to hear there's another Falcon longroof rolling around with tailgate one finger operation- spring assist that works.

. I actually got my first MIG welder after getting my '63 Wagon. Upon purchase, the rear window was down and hinges had broken off from inner tail panel putting full counter spring pressure on the glass!. With time and care I rebuilt hinge support area and now like to show off the one finger' ease of opening the tailgate with the concealed spring assist counterbalance.

Way ahead of typical modern leaky 'nitrogen assist rear hatch supports' this was one of Ford better ideas that actually can still work..

hav e fun

the '63 before purchase @ 2001 ( bondo'd and painted but non-running. broken rear springs, no brakes , poorly repaired floors , etc

more recently:
. .

'63 Wagon

OEM C8DE Ford 170, Precision Machine D7 Head . Oversize intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, . Milled head w/ Steel Shim Gasket. CR= 9.5:1. H/W 5200 - 2.8 series (32/36) progressive 2Bbl carb., Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Champion racing spark plugs, Contact Point/Condensor distributor, Diaphragm Clutch. T5 Adaptor/5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, OEM 3.50: rear, Shelby sway bar, Addco rear sway bar , Fabricated subframe connectors / crossmember, Hooker 6601 dual out longtube headers. Shoulder belts front and belts for three in rear, Dual chamber master cylinder, OEM wide-wagon brakes, dual air line rear shocks, 14” wheels & tires, Countersprung Tailgate, Original tube radio …

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
Here it is 12 months ago it is painted now, but not polished i have yet to take finished pics, still putting the interior in, but hopefully soon. Were you looking for anything specific
Nice, thank you. I wasn’t after anything particular, just wanted to see your progress....😎

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks good even in masking'. Didn't realize your 62' is the coveted - rare TWO DOOR wagon. Low production numbers and often hard family or commercial use didn't leave too many of the 2 Dr wagons still rescue-able. Know any history of the car?.

My 63 4 Dr wagon evidently had the rear seat folded down for most of it's life. It was the only original part in excellent condition and the rear door handles were removed and capped off. Possibly was used for commercial deliveries?...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice, thank you. I wasn’t after anything particular, just wanted to see your progress....😎
thanks , progress if you can call it that, but step by step. i will post pics when she is together. But i am very interested in your motor specs, as i just bought a 170 from a Bronco , i have a 144. i have a t5 tranny sitting waiting but it looks like the adaptor plate will not work for the 170 like it would for the 144, which is a bummer. when i am ready i will coming back to learn more about yours.
cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks good even in masking'. Didn't realize your 62' is the coveted - rare TWO DOOR wagon. Low production numbers and often hard family or commercial use didn't leave too many of the 2 Dr wagons still rescue-able. Know any history of the car?.

My 63 4 Dr wagon evidently had the rear seat folded down for most of it's life. It was the only original part in excellent condition and the rear door handles were removed and capped off. Possibly was used for commercial deliveries?...
i lucked out finding this one in tacoma, 5 years ago. I wish i had just painted the roof and left the rest in primer. Yes long roofs are very cool , i think i am a wagon child. Don't know its history, originally from new hampshire, very well looked after . It was the original green with brown and cream interior, 144 on the tree and had the typical falcon rust, but no more. I am waiting for my carpets so the i can go at the interior, i can attach a pic of the original , thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
very interested in your motor specs, as i just bought a 170 from a Bronco , i have a 144. i have a t5 tranny sitting waiting but it looks like the adaptor plate will not work for the 170 like it would for the 144,

quick comments:

All early 144 / 170 and 200 six engines used the 'small pattern' bellhouse bolt pattern and will only accept the early small bolt-pattern tranny bellhouse whether standard 'peanut -2.77' 3 speed or 2 speed automatic. Around 1966 Ford started using the bigger and sturdier toploader-3.03 3spd and C4 (3spd) automatic in Falcon, Mustang etc and ALL six engines were 'Dual-Drilled' to accept either sized bellhouse pattern. The bigger toploader bellhouse for small six also uses a flat flywheel and larger clutch not the earlier 'stepped' FW of the 2.77 3 spd. The automatic retained the early six's smaller bellhouse with the C4 through the late 70's.

My '63 Wagon was 3OTT with early 'small pattern' 170 and 2.77 3 spd. I swapped in a 'Dagenham" 4 speed which was made for the small bellhouse and needed nothing else changed. The Dagenham 4 spd was a lot more fun than the 3 speed but didn't add 'modern' high speed cruise without an Overdrive 5th gear. To enable swapping in the T5 overdrive, I swapped a 170 engine from a Maverick ('71) which had the 3.03 Toploader C7ZA bellhouse and only needed a small Block V8 'adapter plate' to fit the SBF T5.

That was before adapter plates to fit the early bellhouse/clutch were offered by 'Modern Driveline'. Using the small bellhouse with an adapter plate requires using the smaller clutch and stepped FW from the 2.77.

small pattern only 200 (C5DA) and 2.77 bell

dual pattern Maverick 170 (C8DE) and large pattern bell for 3.03 tL

'Dual-Drilled 170 block:

Adapter plate on 3.03 bell;

1 - 20 of 21 Posts