Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 95 thunderbird 4.6. I was driving down the road and it just died. 4 days later it started right up but drove sluggish like it had for a few months. I got the car home (65 miles away) and then went to autozone to get pressure test kit. Im only getting 12 pounds and the book says I should be getting 45. I changed the pump, filter, spark plugs, wires, and relay. Tested again and up to about 30. Today it was running worse and i smelled gas bad. Now all of a sudden i noticed gas dripping out of the allen head on the drivers side of the fuel pressure regulator. I disconnected the battery and it stopped. I removed it and there is fuel in there but low and no pressure when removing it. I read symptoms of fpr problems and i have them all, especially the cranking forever before it fires up. As im going broke trying to fix this problem I need to know if its common to leak gas out of there when its going bad because that i have not read anywhere in FPR problems. Any info will help. When its going bad does it actually leak gas? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pressure, it is too low, but my main question is that if I see gas coming out of the fpr where the top meets the bottom that would probably have to be the cause wouldnt it? The hose on top is perfectly dry, the allen head and where the top meets the bottom of the fpr is dripping fuel.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i think you narrowed it down pretty well. If you go to the link just above you can get parts you need for dirt cheap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Royesses,There isnt fuel in that line, it is very dry, the fuel is coming out the seam and allen head and it didnt spray fuel out when i removed it like it did my other car. Surely if its pressurized it should, correct? I understand it cant when its leaking out, but nothing else would cause that except for a bad FPR right? And Jonzo, everytime I think i narrowed it down im out 70-100 bucks and its not it. Ive been looking all over online for 20 hours about fpr problems and nowhere does it say leaking out the actual part or the allen head, have either of you ever heard of that? Thank you both and I do understand what you both are saying but I want to hear, its the only thing it can be! LOL Thank you both for your time. My main concern is that it didnt drip 3 days ago until I changed the fuel pump it started. Is it possible that once i got the pressure up 20 more pounds by changing the pump it caused the fpr to leak or become worse?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Royesses,There isnt fuel in that line, it is very dry, the fuel is coming out the seam and allen head and it didnt spray fuel out when i removed it like it did my other car. Surely if its pressurized it should, correct? I understand it cant when its leaking out, but nothing else would cause that except for a bad FPR right? And Jonzo, everytime I think i narrowed it down im out 70-100 bucks and its not it. Ive been looking all over online for 20 hours about fpr problems and nowhere does it say leaking out the actual part or the allen head, have either of you ever heard of that? Thank you both and I do understand what you both are saying but I want to hear, its the only thing it can be! LOL Thank you both for your time. My main concern is that it didnt drip 3 days ago until I changed the fuel pump it started. Is it possible that once i got the pressure up 20 more pounds by changing the pump it caused the fpr to leak or become worse?
the fuel isn't really under much pressure. i have pulled fuel systems apart without depressurizing them, and all it did was drip out. it sounds like a lot, but it isn't. now when working on hydraulic lines under 5000PSI, then you worry... my advise is to pull one out from the junk yard, and try it out

·
Registered
158 Posts
See attached FPR cutaway. If leaking from the Allen head mounting screws the o-ring needs to be replaced. If leaking from the can crimp the FPR needs to be replaced. If leaking into the vacuum line the FPR needs to be replaced. The fuel rail could also be cracked. We can not see the problem and must rely on any information you give us. You should pull the regulator and inspect the o-ring and can crimp and rail for damage and wear. A vacuum test on the diaphragm would be a good thing too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i want to go to the junkyard, depressurize the system, make sure no fuel in the vacuum line and Im only taking the top of the FPR correct? Thanks alot, hope that works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See attached FPR cutaway. If leaking from the Allen head mounting screws the o-ring needs to be replaced. If leaking from the can crimp the FPR needs to be replaced. If leaking into the vacuum line the FPR needs to be replaced. The fuel rail could also be cracked. We can not see the problem and must rely on any information you give us. You should pull the regulator and inspect the o-ring and can crimp and rail for damage and wear. A vacuum test on the diaphragm would be a good thing too.
Okay, i removed it and inspected the orings, they look like they are in good shape, i checked the fuel rail the best i could and it seemed like it was okay everywhere i could see. Not sure what the can crimp is? I will check that out if you can explain what im looking for. After that diagram u attached the place i see fuel coming out and dripping would be the mounting assembly. Also your diagram says gasket? I see a metal to metal connection.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The can crip is where the upper and lower half's meet and secure the diaphragm. There is supposed to be a gasket between the rail and the FPR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
LOL! Well there isnt a gasket and every partstore pic im looking at clearly shows one. Obviously that is where the problem is. I dont understand how i drove it 4 years without the problem of no gasket though. I was very careful to look as i figured there would be one but there wasnt. Maybe there wasnt originally and me taking the top of broke a seal? As i said i didnt have that problem til i took it off. Regardless I appreciate all the help and thank you for bearing with me. I would love to get this from the link you gave me but I need my car now, Im going crazy with the no power. Have a great holiday and I will post results in about 2 hours. Thank you again and thank you Jonzo. Well actually there is one but the one in the pics is around both openings, this one is a circle just around the small tube.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Roy,
I think you should get the hand-holding award for the week!
Good job! :)

RatherBHunting,
Glad you got it figured out.
You did... right?
I'd like to mark this thread resolved, if in fact it is.
Please advise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts