Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was hoping I would be done with this engine.. I guess I'm not..
As many of you all know. I did the head gaskets & cleaned many parts on my 98 Windstar with a 3.8... Well I got everything together. started it today.. It runs.. But it now has a hard start & won't stay running @ idle... Also noticed a slight miss fire... Every so often I can here a miss.. I was thinking do to me having everything off the engine & cleaning many of the parts. heads,intake,top of pistons. That the cleaning process would cause the computer to have to re adjust it's settings that were in memory.. But that doesn't seem to be the case.. I'm hoping that the cleaning off the TPS, MAF ICV will solve this problem.. There is a little oil residue from cleaning certain things... But the check engine light is now off. I don't have milky oil and I can't hear a vacuum leak anymore..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
agh! I KNOW THIS ONE!! problem is i don't remember how to fix it... :mad2:

it had something to do with the TPS not being properly aligned, or the cable... i'll type a new post when i can remember it. my 3.8 cougar had the sme problem

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is what I have discovered... I took the vacuum line off the EGR valve.. And it started right up & holds idle now but now there's an extra vacuum hose...HMMM???
Spare parts..LOL....

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Well I was hoping I would be done with this engine.. I guess I'm not..
As many of you all know. I did the head gaskets & cleaned many parts on my 98 Windstar with a 3.8... Well I got everything together. started it today.. It runs.. But it now has a hard start & won't stay running @ idle... Also noticed a slight miss fire... Every so often I can here a miss.. I was thinking do to me having everything off the engine & cleaning many of the parts. heads,intake,top of pistons. That the cleaning process would cause the computer to have to re adjust it's settings that were in memory.. But that doesn't seem to be the case.. I'm hoping that the cleaning off the TPS, MAF ICV will solve this problem.. There is a little oil residue from cleaning certain things... But the check engine light is now off. I don't have milky oil and I can't hear a vacuum leak anymore..
Some of the Windstars had O rings between the upper and lower plenum chambers
Just a thought

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would start by checking your vacuum hose routing.If you have vacuum applied at idle to the EGR then you have something crossed or the EGR control valve is bad.Check the routing against the factory sticker under the hood.It should show you all the pertinent lines.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I have a 98 windstar with a 3.8, and posted pictures of vacuum lines in the windstar section of this forum they may or may not be helpful. If you are unclear on something in particular I can look at my engine to help out.

Someone recently tackled the P0171 and P0174 codes and took a lot of pictures and posted them, was that you? IF not, that thread might be helpful.

When you replaced the plenum, it needs to be torqued down in a particular pattern, not just any haphazard way. Also the specs are in INCH pounds, NOT FOOT pounds. Too tight and cracked intake you'll have, hmmm.

Torqued in the wrong pattern, and internal leaking you'll have.

Howto locate a vacuum leak
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/94-howto-how-locate-vacuum-leak.html#post423

EDIT:
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/ford-windstar/95-pictures-1998-windstar-vacuum-lines.html

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem resolved... Engine now idles fine & stays running.. Vacuum lines were crossed :frown2:..There is 2 vacuum plugs on the plenum..I switched those @ all was right in the world.. I would've done it yesterday but I lost my light source(the sun).. All I have left to do is change a power steering hose & this beast is complete:thumbsup: ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts