Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Had to change my pads yesterday on my 1996 E350 Econoline, and upon inspection, I noticed the rubber boots are missing on my calipers, or am I mistaken? (see attachment) If I'm right, does anyone know if this is common? Do they perish over the years?

Also, how do I remove the ABS sensor, do I have to remove the disc? Can't seem to find a bolt that holds it in place from the rear of the assembly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Folks

Had to change my pads yesterday on my 1996 E350 Econoline, and upon inspection, I noticed the rubber boots are missing on my calipers, or am I mistaken? (see attachment) If I'm right, does anyone know if this is common? Do they perish over the years?

Also, how do I remove the ABS sensor, do I have to remove the disc? Can't seem to find a bolt that holds it in place from the rear of the assembly.

Thanks in advance.
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
542 Posts
The mounting pin dust boots are there in the picture. I think he is asking about rubber boots/seals on the pistons. Those piston appear to be falling out of the caliper. There has to be an o-ring seal between the piston and caliper cylinder to keep the fluid in, but I'm not sure if there is a dust boot there, or not. Those pistons may be sitting upside down in that picture as we can see the o-rings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
The mounting pin dust boots are there in the picture. I think he is asking about rubber boots/seals on the pistons. Those piston appear to be falling out of the caliper. There has to be an o-ring seal between the piston and caliper cylinder to keep the fluid in, but I'm not sure if there is a dust boot there, or not. Those pistons may be sitting upside down in that picture as we can see the o-rings.

You're right I was actually talking about the Piston Boots (not sure if that's the right name for them) But I mentioned calipers in my original post, which wasn't very clear. I can see the channels on the pistons and caliper housing where a boot or some type of rubber cover belongs.. I think..
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas Audio equipment

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
You're right I was actually talking about the Piston Boots (not sure if that's the right name for them)
You were correct, piston boot

Some applications have caliper pin boots. Which is this application. The caliper is called a floating caliper.
Versus a slider or sliding caliper that has metal slides or guides instead of pins.

Action

Font Line Auto part Technology Parallel

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clearing that up Action. I need to overhaul both front calipers. In particular the near side. The top piston was stuck in the caliper body, which caused the inner pad to wear unevenly. Is this quite a straightforward overhaul? Anything I need to be aware of?

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Getting the stuck piston out is the issue. Air could be helpful.
if that kind of measure is needed use some wood to have the piston shot out at.

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not completely stuck, I managed to free it just by gently tapping the caliper housing and the actual piston when I wound it in using the piston tool. I then released it and repeated it until it moved all the way to clear for the new pads. But it was only a half-measure job. They do need an overhaul, I'll keep your advice in mind (Air/wood)

Thanks (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts