Second Tranny Oil Change - As Bad As First! | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Second Tranny Oil Change - As Bad As First!

Discussion in 'Ford Vans' started by MikeOfBonsall, May 30, 2020.

1. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

You may remember as part of my complete 150K mile service of my new 2005 E150 van I changed the transmission fluid and found that it was the first time; the yellow plug was still in the pan. So today after about 300 miles I did it again. A bit disappointed to find the magnet coated in sludge again and the oil still disgustingly black. I suppose it will need a few changes to get it clean.

Van changes smoothly except for in and out of overdrive that does knock unless the revs are perfect.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

It is good you are getting that stuff out.
    The valve body doesn't like that stuff.
    The clutch packs don't like that stuff
    And it is hard on the pump.

Not sure what the the maintenance schedule was and I would be doing every 30,000 miles. Based on 150K you still may need to change out the fluid again.

You have a base line at 300 miles of use. I would let this one go for 300 miles and see what you get.

Deferred maintenance - it's fun. It just doesn't last long.
    And far too many owners practice it.

>>>>>Action
  3. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Are you using the recommended fluid for it
    It should tell you on the dipstick
  4. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

Yes Mercon V
    I need do a trip of about 1,000 miles next week so it may need to wait that long.
    Action likes this.
  5. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

I wish that pan had a drain plug!
  6. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

So today I changed the tranny oil for the third time. Minimal black sludge but fluid still thick and dark. Going on a 1,000 mile trip and when I get back I'll add a new filter with the oil change.
  7. Action

Will be interested in the result.

Action
  8. Action

Will be interested in the result.

Action
  9. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

After about 700 miles FOURTH tranny oil change done in the 2005 E150 now at 155k miles. No sludge this time and oil half black half red and not all black like before so I'm getting there. IT IS DRIVING BETTER. The jump in and out of overdrive has almost gone.
  10. Action

That is good news. I wasn't sure you would get this result, As in you may have brought back from the brink of replacing hard parts,
    >>>>Action
  11. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

So when do you think I should do it again? I can almost do it in my sleep now. Today's oil and filter change took about 18 mins! I have a stick cut to length that holds the pan while I take out the bolts. With a new filter, to make it run at its best I refill with 3 and 3/8th quarts.
  12. Action

Is that all you get out of the system is less than 4 quarts?
    It used to be that Ford had a drain plug in the torque converter. The torque converter holds 10 quarts or more. If all you drain is the pan, I would say drain again in 3 to 5 thousand miles.

What is happening is you are draining 25% to 33% of the oil each time. Most of the oil is still in the torque converter. So the multiple changes have helped a lot.

Action
  13. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

I know but how can you drain the torque converter without a pump system? Is there some sort of drain plug?
  14. Action

Most of the Ford transmissions up to the 1990s had an inspection plate at the bottom of the bell housing. Remove that, rotate the torque converter to get the drain plug lined up and remove. 12 to 12 quarts come gushing out.

My daily driver is a 06 Navigator. Lincoln decided to use a German transmission (ZF Friedrichshafen AG) and it is not serviceable. No dip stick, no filler pipe no maintenance. I have 170,000 miles on it and would prefer to change the oil. But have not.

>>>>>>Action
  15. MikeOfBonsall

MikeOfBonsall Member

The research I have done all says to do full flush must remove the lines from cooler, run engine and add new fluid as old dumps out? I have an inspection plug in the bell housing but how might I try to rotate the torque converter?
  16. Action

While you are under the vehicle. (properly supported) Turn the nut on the front of crankshaft to turn the torque converter. This will move the plug in the torque converter to the position you want.
    I have a remote starter switch that I use for tune up on older cars. I would NOT recommend using the starter to move the engine. It is slower and more accurate if you turn the front of the crankshaft

I have never flushed out the cooler lines and cooler. There may be 2 quarts in there. That may be a bit generous. (A quart in the lines and 1 in the cooler.) With that said generally I break up all oil changes over an evening. (plus it is hot here during the day) I drain the oil or fluid in the evening. I button up things in the morning and refill. This is for engine oil and transmission fluid. Many transmission fluid changes there is still some dripping in the morning after it has been open all night. This could be from the lines and cooler especially since the vehicle has rear tires on ground and I use ramps. The angle promoted fluid to drain back to the transmission.

And usually for a big transmission (C-6 or any variation) I empty the drain pan after the transmission oil pan has been removed. Because the amount of oil in the torque converter plus the transmission together exceeds my drain pan size.

Just what I do

Action