Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Taurus 2004 here.

I just bought a new fuel filter plus clips (pretty wimpy for hoses routed at the bottom of the car) from the dealer. I read the procedure with the shut-off switch and relieving the pressure along the fuel line but since I've never done this one before, my question is, will the screw jack from the car provide enough lift to allow me to replace the filter?

Thank you.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I dont think so and I would not recommend getting under a vehicle without jack stands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't planning to. 'was thinking more of positioning myself off to the side without having to get under and I wasn't sure that was even possible. I gotta get me some jackstands then. Tx.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Even with no fuel pressure fuel will run down your arm so you want enough room to be able to slide around,a creeper would be nice but you can manage.Plus you may need to be able to see what you are working on and working the fuel filter out of the worm clamp can be a bear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That factory scissor jack is pretty worthless, I hate them! Auto Zone usually has a good special for a 2.5 ton jack with two jack stands for $30-ish. That was my first jack and jack stands when I first started working on my cars (and that jack is now in the trunk of the Taurus at all times).

I later upgraded to a 3.5 ton Michelin with speedy lift (two pumps and it will touch any vehicle), and it can lift up to 22", available from Sam's Club for $69. Also have a total of 8 jack stands now (4 suitable for cars, and 4 suitable for trucks).

·
Registered
39 Posts
You will have to lay down and reach under the car. I put my little hydraulic jack at the rear jacking corner and lift the car a couple inches, is all you need. Is best to do the car after it has sat overnight or similar time period to relieve any pressure in the line. Use some kind of catch tray to catch any gas drips. If you don't trust the clips you can wrap a gear hose clamp over each one and snug them up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
DO NOT slide under a vehicle that is not properly supported, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts