Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to adjust linkage so when car is in drive, the shifter points to D on the column.
Pointer is 1/2" to right of where it should be. So I need to lengthen that shift rod.
Drives me nuts. I believe I'm on the right track but for the love of god I can't get the nut to break free . Ref page 7-28 in the manual (point A). Trouble is there is so much build up of junk on the nut & bracket (mostly undercoating), I can't really see the nut, washer, thread, bracket stack up. And the nut seems way too big for this application. (it's 3/4" I think). But logic says loosen the nut to adjust. (similar to kick down rod). No matter how much torque I put on this stupid nut while holding the rod, I can't break it free. Am I on the right track here or am I just not seeing it correctly? Is there maybe a screwdriver slot inside the nut where I would hold the nut & turn the screw?? I just cannot see it. I really feel if I go any harder at it, it'll break. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Not having an experience on a Falcon I am not sure.
Pictures would help.

Is the column shifter lever and indicator physically attached?
Or is there are cable wire from the shifter to the indicator?

If the nut you are loosening secures a stud or bolt to a slotted rod, then yes that nut will loosen to make an adjustment. The pic attached is for a rod on a manual transmission (I think) and the concept is the same.
Breaking the nut or even the stud/bolt may not be that big a deal. However do not bend or break linkage.
Fasteners can be obtained fairly easily. Other parts not so much.

With that said, if there is debris (road tar, grease, under coat or ??) over the linkage and other parts, my recommendation would be to remove all of that debris and clean the parts and area around it first. Actually seeing what is involved may help you to keep the repair job simple.

Action
Bicycle part Auto part Automotive exterior Font Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
289 Posts
You will need to thoroughly clean the nut and linkage and the arm where the selector comes out of the steering column. It must be clean and free to move.
The FSM is pretty clear. You might need to burn off ( carefully) accumulated crud and undercoating.

Also, WELCOME to the forum. If you post your location, you might find someone nearby who can help.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts