Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1963 Ford Falcon Sprint, 260 and 4 speed. I cannot shift to 3rd & 4th gear. Stock shifter has been replaced sometime in the past with an aftermarket Hurst. Crawled under the hood and saw the linkage for 3rd/4th has been cut and rewelded. Anyone know a way to determine if this was done wrong? And where I can order a stock shifter with linkages so I can swap all of it out? Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
shifter

1963 Ford Falcon Sprint, 260 and 4 speed. I cannot shift to 3rd & 4th gear. Stock shifter has been replaced sometime in the past with an aftermarket Hurst. Crawled under the hood and saw the linkage for 3rd/4th has been cut and rewelded. Anyone know a way to determine if this was done wrong? And where I can order a stock shifter with linkages so I can swap all of it out? Thanks.
Is this a problem that just started or a long"you bought it that way" situation . a lot of the shifters ive seen like that cause they may have been bought for a t-10 trans or for a top loader. the transmissions interchange, but the shift linkages dont. Try this, jack the vehicle and support with stands, with someone sitting in the driver seat, go undetneath the car and have someone go through the gears, notice if there is any binding in the linkage or if the levers are going their full rate of travel. just dont put your fingers inbetween the linkages. as gearhead stated, the factory shifters are not cheep, but hurst still has the replacement linkages available.
hope this helps

·
Registered
890 Posts
the older a car gets, the harder it is to find parts

·
Registered
84 Posts
#1 I agree with Lincolndriver.

#2 I would suggest you DO NOT buy a Ford shifter and linkage as the same parts were used on all Ford applications during that time period (including the four speed in the six cylinder Falcon) and were simply the cheapest parts that would shift gears.

Yes, the 427 powered big Fords used the same shifter as a six cylinder Falcon with 4 speed!

#3 There should have been not reason to alter the factory linkage by welding as the rods were the correct length out of the factory. Maybe someone has cut down a rod from some other transmission application? If this is true then Lincolndriver's advice will tell you if there is a problem.

#4 Most of the bases for the "floor shifts", factory and aftermarket, have adjustment bolts that serve as stops for the linkage movement. This is what Lincolndriver was getting at, are they adjusted correctly?

#5 Double check the BUSHINGS between each rod and the linkage. T-10's had a bad habbit of eating bushings which changes the location of the shift rods enough to prevent the rod from moving the internial linkage (in the trans) the correct distance.

Other then that I'd have to see the car/application. I've been losing some of my Ford problem knowledge as Ii was recently forced to start driving a Chevy Calavier. Talk about different enginering!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yank, your post is very helpful and thanks for the thumbs up, and especially your #5. but #3...well frenchysonline stated he has a hurst shifter. now in 63 the trans was the t-10. in mid?64 the top loader was introduced. top loader was much stronger than t-10. these two trans interchange,but do use different linkages. my dad when he drove the 63.5 r code had a t-10, he blew it up then replaced with top loader. Shift rods were different. i think on t-10 all three rods go below the levers. the top loader, one rod goes above the levers. I, years later found this out because I replaced the Hurst shifter with a new shifter cause i had repededly kept starting in third. Ordered from summitt, was asked which trans did i have, told them t-10(just guessing) and found out when I tried to do the swap, wrestled with them for about an hour and called summit. got it straight got the correct rods, but i still start in 3rd gear, just a crappy shifter:mad2: Am still looking for factory shifter at good price, but i think ill have a better chance of seeing God!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts