Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first of all I just want to say thank you for all the helpful information provided on this forum. I am considering buying a 2010 or upcoming 2011 Escape V6 and I have been doing a lot of research. But, I am getting nervous and starting to rethink my future purchase after reading about all the transmission problems with the newer Escapes. Are these problems going to be resolved in the later built 2010s and the upcoming 2011 Escapes? Are these problems significant enough that I should stay away from the Escape? I was really disappointed to see these problems since I was getting my heart set on the Escape...I just love the traditional SUV masculine look and the SYNC is awesome. I am coming from a Honda Accord which was rock solid reliable. So, I could see myself getting aggravated if I bought a new vehicle which ended up giving me major problems.
Just looking for some input. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
my mother has an escape and its super reliable. she bought it new its an 06 model ands still runs perfect so id say go ahead and get one

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if you really wanted a masculine SUV, i'd say go with an explorer.

the escape isn't a bad vehicle, you just have to remember most new cars have a couple bugs in them...

just remember, all cars being created equal (as far as main purpose), chevy's just spend more time in the garage

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would say go for it. The F-6 transmission will have the bugs worked out and or a recall will happen and it will be fixed. Just like the '08. One thing i would recommend you think about is finding out whether the creeks and odd little noises are still in the '10s. They don't bother me in my '08 but I've read several complaints from people who feel the noises are unacceptable in any new rig.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You'll like it .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sure I will like it. I have taken two test drives in them and I have found it very comfortable with good speed and handling. Also, SYNC is really outstanding and is a big selling point with me. I am just worried I will end up with a problematic vehicle. If I didn't do so much research on it I would never have known about the problems. Ignorance is bliss. :)

I do like that Ford seems to be addressing the issue. What I am curious about is whether they addressed the cooler leak issue and other transmission issues in the later 2010 models and the upcoming 2011 models. My thinking is that they might not put any effort or money into changing/fixing the issues since they are planning on a total remodel in 2012. They might keep the design, engineering, etc. issue (whatever it is) as is and address new owner problems on a case by case basis. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am sure I will like it. I have taken two test drives in them and I have found it very comfortable with good speed and handling. Also, SYNC is really outstanding and is a big selling point with me. I am just worried I will end up with a problematic vehicle. If I didn't do so much research on it I would never have known about the problems. Ignorance is bliss. :)

I do like that Ford seems to be addressing the issue. What I am curious about is whether they addressed the cooler leak issue and other transmission issues in the later 2010 models and the upcoming 2011 models. My thinking is that they might not put any effort or money into changing/fixing the issues since they are planning on a total remodel in 2012. They might keep the design, engineering, etc. issue (whatever it is) as is and address new owner problems on a case by case basis. What are your thoughts on this?
The trans cooler hasn't been a problem on the 09 and 10's . There was a left half axle leak on the 09's and there have been some leak issues on the 2010 AWD(4WD) I believe. They have had several computer updates for transmission shift issues and durability with the last one being a customer satisfaction recall , and so far reports have been positive. It's hard for me to believe they would drop the ball on the 6 speed automatic transmission since they just spent a bundle on design and it was just recently put into production on the Escapes and Fusions .

·
Registered
694 Posts

A total remodel doesn't mean that the powertrain or drivechain will change. The EcoBoost engines are to go into all platforms sooner or later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses. Good points. That is encouraging news actually. I will just keep track of things for now. I am hoping to pull the trigger on an Escape at the end of summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alex; I advise you to stick to Honda. In my opinion Ford is a borderline dishonest company that doesn't give a rats behind about you as a costumer, buying a Ford is a gamble, I rather waste my money in Vegas.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Alex; I advise you to stick to Honda. In my opinion Ford is a borderline dishonest company that doesn't give a rats behind about you as a costumer
which is funny, because neither does Toyota, General Motors, Honda, Volkswagen, or most of the companies out there for that matter. At least Ford admits to there being a problem in a couple vehicles...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an '09 Mariner with the transmission problems. Is it annoying? Yes. Would I buy an Escape/Mariner again? Yes. Overall, it's a well-designed car with great features and a very good ride. The quality isn't as great as it could be, but Ford seems to be addressing the problems. As long as they're resolved on Ford's dime, and this car lasts me as long as my other Ford vehicles lasted (10+ years), it's a minor inconvenience for an otherwise enjoyable vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dragline, I guess that's what I was hoping to hear. That the problem doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. Although, I feel bad for the people reporting having their transmissions replaced and having to go back to the dealer multiple times out of pocket before Ford acknowledged the problem.

valdelocc, I appreciate the opinion but I doubt that any of these companies really care about their customers until they are forced to... ex. Toyota. My honda was recalled a few months ago for a defective airbag in the steering wheel "due to excessive deployment force that could injure or kill the driver". What I upset? No, just inconvenienced. Something like that wouldn't turn me off from Honda but it also isn't as serious as transmission issues I suppose. Now if I was without my car for more than a few days due to a recall or had to return for multiple issues no matter how severe, I would be pissed no matter who the automaker was.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I doubt that any of these companies really care about their customers until they are forced to... ex. Toyota.
because they don't even care when they're forced to...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Alex; I advise you to stick to Honda. In my opinion Ford is a borderline dishonest company that doesn't give a rats behind about you as a costumer, buying a Ford is a gamble, I rather waste my money in Vegas.
I personally am not fond of the Honda's I've driven , they have some quirkiness that's hard for me to get use to . Doors don't auto lock or unlock , no battery saver , dash lights so bright you think your head lights are on when they aren't , the transmission shifter allows you to shift past D to 3D without pushing the button down so if not careful you will be driving around in 3rd gear until you notice the RPM's .I think most , if not all still have the overhead cam timing belt instead of chain . But mostly it is a not an American company . Sure many are made here , but where do you think the profits go ? The Honda I'm most familiar with is a 2005 Accord EX.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts