Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Campers

I have a slight transmission fluid leak which appears to be coming from the bell housing on my 1996 Ford Econoline e350 XLT Clubwagon. It has the 7.5 v8 lump in it if that helps. Admittedly it is just a few drops per week, but I'd rather sort it now before I start seeing puddles.

From my understanding, it's just a seal that needs replacing, but I'm also aware it's a ***** of a job! So if anyone has done this job before or could point out any problems I need to be aware of, I would appreciate it!

I've done these jobs before but 20 years ago on European cars. Basically, I just want to know how careful I need to be. When I separate the box from the engine can anything fall inside the gbox like a split pin, or shaft or anything for that matter.. :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
Likely a front pump seal. And the transmission is a E4OD
Remove transmission from the engine
Remove torque converter
Remove front pump. (You may need a puller)
Replace seal, O ring and any gasket.
You might be able to remove the seal with the pump installed. And it won't be easy.

The over all recommendation is CLEAN. Dirt is the enemy for transmission work.

Action

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once again, much appreciated! Just one last thing, it could well be related. Recently I had a technician overhaul my Mass Air Flow Sensor. I did ask for it to be replaced with an OEM one, but he did it his way, which I wasn't too happy about because I know they are a finely tuned delicate piece of equipment.

Anyway, since then the gear change from 1st to 2nd has become a bit harsh, or maybe aggressive is a better way to describe it. It basically jolts, whereas before it didn't do that. In fact, I was impressed with how smooth it use to change gear. It's only done 78k miles.

After doing some research I learned that the MAF sensor does indeed have a complex relationship with the Auto transmission, and if it's not working correctly interferes with the transmission. So with all this in mind, I'm thinking this leak could be the result..

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
If original, 25 year old transmission fluid isn't helping either.
Drop the pan and change out the fluid and filter.
And the fluid in the torque converter can be drained with out removal.
And you were likely goin to have to do this anyway.

In fact, I would drain the converter before you remove it. It will lighten the load and make an awkward job a bit easier. There is an inspection plate Remove it to expose the TC.
Bump the starter to bring a pipe plug around. Remove the plug and get out of the way.

Then you can start the seal replacement

Action

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got it, thanks mate!
I had the same issue on my 78 F250 with a C6 in it. I don't know what your budget is, but your best bet may be to find a small transmission shop somewhere to fix that. I removed mine and took it to a shop. The guy did a rebuild on it for $450 and I got it back like new. It works perfectly and no leaks. I fix and rebuild expensive machinery for a living, and didn't want any part of doing that myself, mostly due to my lack of confidence that I could do it without getting dirt, dust and impurities into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts