Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, 2002 Windstar 137k. A few weeks back, the speedometer on the car stopped registering the proper speed, now it's less than half. The odometer also registers less than half mileage on trips. Is this because of cracked vss teeth or is there a piece on the inside of the tranny that Im not going to be able to get to to? thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
I doubt it's the exciter ring on the inside of the trans. It would make a lot of really bad noises if it broke. My guess is the VSS or the associated wiring is bad.
Is your trans shifting OK? The VSS is used by the PCM to determine the shift schedules. If it's shifting OK..my guess is the gauge has gone bad.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'm with Cuda on this, I am wondering about the set up. In the earlier Broncos' the speedo was directly posered by a cable, later they still had a cable, but that was converted to an electrical impulse and the actual speedometer was electrical. Starting 1992 the speedometer/odometer was programmable.

What kind of system is in the 2002 windstar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick reply, the trans never had a shifting problem but it did act up (at least I guessed it was the trans) while going steady speeds on the highway until this problem with the dial started and now there are no more hiccups. I don't think the speedometer dial is bad because the odometer is digital and it's picking up a little less than half of the miles I am doing which seems to be what the speedometer is doing also. This just concurs to what you are saying. the vss which is somewhere underneath this 5000lb machine that I have to find a way to lift up now. thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts