Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with the "Spot Mirrors" on my 2010 Escape, and wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It is a little hard to explain... hoping you will understand.

If will look at your mirror as a car approaches you will first see the car in the larger main mirror... as the car gets closer you will see the same exact image coming into the smaller spot mirror. It is a continuation of the big car in the main mirror and it does appear in the spot mirror in exactly the same size. It will be dimmer, but you will see it clearly. As the vehicle gets even closer you will then see the smaller image of the vehicle alongside you, in the blind spot. I am assuming this is the view Ford engineers want you to see. It is as if the spot mirror shows you both images... the big and small. It is especially confusing at night when the cars headlights are on. The lights are very bright, clear, and pronounced. Seeing TWO pairs of headlights when it is only one car is super confusing to me. I am not "trusting" my mirror at this point. When there are no cars around both views seems normal.

I thought it might be some kind of relection coming off my side window glass. I rolled the window down and I still get the double vision. A passenger riding with me saw the same issue in her R/S mirror.

Try looking in your mirror and "study" the mirror as a car approaches along side... You will see what I mean.

Thanks.... Hope you all have an awesome Sunday !! !

Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am having issues with the "Spot Mirrors" on my 2010 Escape, and wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It is a little hard to explain... hoping you will understand.

If will look at your mirror as a car approaches you will first see the car in the larger main mirror... as the car gets closer you will see the same exact image coming into the smaller spot mirror. It is a continuation of the big car in the main mirror and it does appear in the spot mirror in exactly the same size. It will be dimmer, but you will see it clearly. As the vehicle gets even closer you will then see the smaller image of the vehicle alongside you, in the blind spot. I am assuming this is the view Ford engineers want you to see. It is as if the spot mirror shows you both images... the big and small. It is especially confusing at night when the cars headlights are on. The lights are very bright, clear, and pronounced. Seeing TWO pairs of headlights when it is only one car is super confusing to me. I am not "trusting" my mirror at this point. When there are no cars around both views seems normal.

I thought it might be some kind of relection coming off my side window glass. I rolled the window down and I still get the double vision. A passenger riding with me saw the same issue in her R/S mirror.

Try looking in your mirror and "study" the mirror as a car approaches along side... You will see what I mean.

Thanks.... Hope you all have an awesome Sunday !! !

Steve
Does the 2010 come with spot mirrors or did you add them ? My 09 didn't .

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is standard on the 2010. I have no issue with the mirror and think it is a nice feature. You have to only focus on the mirror you want to use or you will see 2. The spot mirror is only for stuff in your blind spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is standard on the 2010. I have no issue with the mirror and think it is a nice feature. You have to only focus on the mirror you want to use or you will see 2. The spot mirror is only for stuff in your blind spot.
I'n not sure I am explaining my issue properly. I realize you only look at ONE mirror at a time. The issue I have is that I do see TWO images of the same car in my spot mirror. First I see the faint image of the car. It's as if the large image from the regular mirror continues into the spot mirror. It is faint, but it is clearly there. Then as the car vehicle comes along side the smaller image which I am supposed to see comes into view. As I said at night with the headlights on the issue is worse because of the headlight being on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK Hi Everyone...

Sorry nobody seems to understand what I'm trying to explain. Doesn't matter... it's all a mute point now. I purchased the 09 Escape mirrors (no spot) and installed them on my 10 Escape. I also had to change the mirror adjusting motors as the 2010 mirrors have a round mounting plate and the 09's have a rectangular plate. Both motors (09 and 10) mount into the mirror housing the same way. It is only where they attach to the glass that is different.

Now I am as happy as a pig.... as I don't have two images running around inside my spot mirror. And no, I am not looking at both mirrors at once. I AM looking at only one... the spot. I can't believe I am the only one who notices this. I took a mirror to my neighbors house (over the road driver). He saw it right away.. Said he doesn't know how I have lasted so long with the mirror. Next week I'll take the mirror into the Ford dealer and show the service manager.

Well, that's all I have to report.. I trust everyone will have a super weekend !!!

Steve

ps edit.... The mirrors on the Escape are so large I don't really need a spot. They are adjusted so as the front of the car is pulling alongside my door, the tail end is just leaving the view in my mirror. Watching cars pull alongside me at a light I can see the last 6 or so inches of the car in my mirror with "one eye" and see the front of the car beside me with the other... at the same time. So in this respect I do not have a blind spot at all. True, the mirrors are adjusted out.... and I cannot see the actual side of my car... if I have to (see the side) I just slide my head over an inch and I am able to see down the side.

Later

·
Registered
532 Posts
OK Hi Everyone...

Sorry nobody seems to understand what I'm trying to explain. Doesn't matter... it's all a mute point now. I purchased the 09 Escape mirrors (no spot) and installed them on my 10 Escape. I also had to change the mirror adjusting motors as the 2010 mirrors have a round mounting plate and the 09's have a rectangular plate. Both motors (09 and 10) mount into the mirror housing the same way. It is only where they attach to the glass that is different.

Now I am as happy as a pig.... as I don't have two images running around inside my spot mirror. And no, I am not looking at both mirrors at once. I AM looking at only one... the spot. I can't believe I am the only one who notices this. I took a mirror to my neighbors house (over the road driver). He saw it right away.. Said he doesn't know how I have lasted so long with the mirror. Next week I'll take the mirror into the Ford dealer and show the service manager.

Well, that's all I have to report.. I trust everyone will have a super weekend !!!

Steve

ps edit.... The mirrors on the Escape are so large I don't really need a spot. They are adjusted so as the front of the car is pulling alongside my door, the tail end is just leaving the view in my mirror. Watching cars pull alongside me at a light I can see the last 6 or so inches of the car in my mirror with "one eye" and see the front of the car beside me with the other... at the same time. So in this respect I do not have a blind spot at all. True, the mirrors are adjusted out.... and I cannot see the actual side of my car... if I have to (see the side) I just slide my head over an inch and I am able to see down the side.

Later
I'm told that's the way they should be adjusted . But don't forget there are motorcycles out there and smaller cars that aren't as long or tall . I never feel safe to change lanes without turning my head to look . Just my 10 cents worth !

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm told that's the way they should be adjusted . But don't forget there are motorcycles out there and smaller cars that aren't as long or tall . I never feel safe to change lanes without turning my head to look . Just my 10 cents worth !
Sometime between 1973 and 1979, I had a 1973 Chevy Blazer. Driving down a two lane road alongside another vehicle a guy on a motorcycle drove right between the two of us! Talk about the loud echo between two cars!! I've been leary of bikers eversince that day. Wonder if the guy is still alive today??

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sometime between 1973 and 1979, I had a 1973 Chevy Blazer. Driving down a two lane road alongside another vehicle a guy on a motorcycle drove right between the two of us! Talk about the loud echo between two cars!! I've been leary of bikers eversince that day. Wonder if the guy is still alive today??
And believe it or not it's legal in California . It's referred to as lane splitting .

·
Registered
694 Posts
And believe it or not it's legal in California . It's referred to as lane splitting .
Hmmm, just tried to read up on that! Not very clear if it's legal to split at lane at 50MPH. Actually the guy flew between us on my driver's side and the my door vibrated! If either of us would have moved inward, he'd be a gonner!!

Later I found out that he worked at the same place I did. I later heard other workers make comments to the guy in the parking lot about his riding and his comment was that "At least I got here sooner than you did!".

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hmmm, just tried to read up on that! Not very clear if it's legal to split at lane at 50MPH. Actually the guy flew between us on my driver's side and the my door vibrated! If either of us would have moved inward, he'd be a gonner!!

Later I found out that he worked at the same place I did. I later heard other workers make comments to the guy in the parking lot about his riding and his comment was that "At least I got here sooner than you did!".
As I'm sure your aware there are idiots everywhere that push the limits and put themselves and others at risk . As far as California what is legal is primarily left up to the police officer at the site . I do ride a motorcycle and if I were somewhere it is legal I would only consider lane splitting at very low speeds . But I also think it prudent to turn ones head and look before changing lanes whether on a motorcycle or in an enclosed vehicle . I realize some vehicles don't have windows that allow a good view , and that's when one must use even more caution with the mirrors .

·
Registered
694 Posts
As I'm sure your aware there are idiots everywhere that push the limits and put themselves and others at risk . As far as California what is legal is primarily left up to the police officer at the site . I do ride a motorcycle and if I were somewhere it is legal I would only consider lane splitting at very low speeds . But I also think it prudent to turn ones head and look before changing lanes whether on a motorcycle or in an enclosed vehicle . I realize some vehicles don't have windows that allow a good view , and that's when one must use even more caution with the mirrors .
What does changing lanes have to do with this? Two vehicles driving side by side and a motorcycle drives between them.

I could see this lane splitting could be really dangerous on a single lane road if the vehicle made a turn either way.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What does changing lanes have to do with this? Two vehicles driving side by side and a motorcycle drives between them.

I could see this lane splitting could be really dangerous on a single lane road if the vehicle made a turn either way.
I don't believe it's legal anywhere on a single lane road , that would be truly crazy ! I certainly wouldn't do it period . I've only seen it done on divided freeways .

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't believe it's legal anywhere on a single lane road , that would be truly crazy ! I certainly wouldn't do it period . I've only seen it done on divided freeways .
During my search about the lane splittings I read a post from a biker describing riding at 35MPH on the double yellow line which could be a single lane road but I forget want their point or question was.

·
Registered
532 Posts
During my search about the lane splittings I read a post from a biker describing riding at 35MPH on the double yellow line which could be a single lane road but I forget want their point or question was.
In California double yellow lines separate the carpool lanes from the fast lane.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK Hi Everyone...

Steve

Later
No double vision on mine:crazy:. Maybe it has to do with the angle you are at in the driver seat. I'm tall and looking down into the mirror.

·
Registered
694 Posts
No double vision on mine:crazy:. Maybe it has to do with the angle you are at in the driver seat. I'm tall and looking down into the mirror.
I was going to mention before that it "might" have something to do with the OP's vision. Not a problem but a quirk of somekind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts