Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 F-250 with a 351. In the last 2 years I have replaced the Belt tensioner 4 times. The first one started squeeling and exploded after about a month. Iv tried using light viscocity lube, WD40, even soaking them in oil to make the squeel stop, but it wont work. I keep replacing them because I dont wont a repeat of the first. Is there something I'm missing that could be the cause of this? I do a moderate amount of 4 wheeling so I do spray then engine down sometimes to get mud off but its never on the front of the engine, could the water be doing this?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You might be getting mud/grit into the bearings when you are out having fun.

It'd be a lot worse if it was your alternator.

OIC you're from Middletown, NJ. I guess you play at 1/4 mile?
That sandy gritty soil will reak havock on any moving parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where that is but I'm a fan of the Leonardo mud flats and a sand pit in Tinton Falls by the back entrance to NWS Earle.
Is there anything I can do to help keep this thing working, or maybe a better built one?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Are you sure the belt is the correct length? Is the belt wearing out as well? Is the tensioner bearing (pulley) making the noise or the tensioner spring?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the pully itself. The belt is stock for the truck, I relaced it after the first one because it was shredded. I replaced it once again after that when I did a tune up on the truck, I only bought it because I forgot I had just changed it. That was about 7 months ago.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
In the last 2 years I have replaced the Belt tensioner 4 times.
I would try cleaning it well after each sand trip, and then lubing it. Initially with WD-40, and then a week later with PBblaster. WD-40 has superior water displacement abilities, that is what the WD stands for. It is my understanding that PBblaster continues to lubricate after it evaporates longer than some other products.

Overall, I think you are going to have to mark up replacing the pully as a part of the cost of having FUN!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts