steering issue | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

steering issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by bradleyheathhays, Apr 9, 2020.

1. bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays Member

Just now rolling over 100k miles. Been feeling some steering weirdness so I get one front wheel up in the air and push at 3 and 9 and sure enough there's some wobble. Pushing at 12 and 6 gives no play at all.

Although I'll probably be replacing the worn part myself I need some help diagnosing what all might need to be replaced. And since I need an alignment anyway I've made a deal w/ my local Goodyear tire shop to do a pre alignment inspection and identify my bad part(s) so I can replace them before they do the job.

When I drop the car off what specific parts should I ask them to look at? I'm sure tie rod ends but what other kind of worn parts could be causing movement on the 3-9 push test?
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Six and 12 play is typically wheel bearings

Nine to 3 plays is steering. Depends on the vehicle as to what parts could cause wear.

>>>>Action
  3. bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays Member

Thanks Action. I've gotten advice to check tie rod ends, and I'm assuming that means outer, but should I be concerned about inner TREs as well?
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Inner tie rods depend on vehicle type and steering system.

>>>>Action