Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really at a loss as to what this could be... but I'll try to explain it.

Basically sometimes my car runs fine and other times it doesn't. For example, the other day I had an appointment and drove there (about 5 miles) just fine. As I go to leave, my car starts sputtering a lot. If I let it idle it would be fine, but once I put it in gear and gave it some gas the RPMs would basically start having a seizure... That's about the only way I can explain it. When it was doing this the check engine light would flicker on and off, then once I let it idle it would either stay on or go completely off. So I'm pretty lost as to where to start.

So today I started to take a look at it and when I started it and rolled it into the garage it ran just fine. No check engine light, no nothing. I let it run for a while, took it around the block, nothing. So then I decided to just give it some gas and see what happened. As long as I stayed under 4k, it hummed beautifully, but once I gave it enough to go over 4k it would start sputtering again.

Hopefully I've explained it well enough...

I don't know if it could mean it jumped timing, bad vaccuum somewhere, bad oxygen sensor... I have no idea. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

In related news, my car has an idling problem when it's cold. It does the 500 to 1k, to 500, to 1k thing for a few minutes until it warms up. I'm thinking the ICV (or whatever it's called on Probes) needs to be cleaned, but I don't know where it is (throttle body?) so any help on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Here are the error codes I've pulled from the car:

02 Crankshaft Position Sensor #2 (CKP2)
03 Cylinder Identification (CID) Sensor
04 Crankshaft Position Sensor #1 (CKP1)
15 (Left) Heated Oxygen Sensor (LHO2S) Voltage Always Below 0.55v
24 (Right) Heated Oxygen Sensor (RHO2S) Voltage Does Not Change

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check your fuel pressure. Sounds like the pump is on its way. At least that's where would start, the gauge costs around $20 anyplace that sells them. Grab a can of IAC cleaner, if you don't need it, you will before long, they're not hard to take off, two screws. Rich

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'm surprised that car has two crankshaft position sensors, but I know little about probes.

What year, and engine do you have in there?

My first suspicion, considering all those codes is that you have poor connections and poor grounds. Clean your battery cables at both ends, and all the little grounds that you see. Clean and tight.

See if these threads help
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/electrical-lighting/90-check-ground.html

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/electrical-lighting/99-voltage-drop-testing.html

·
Registered
798 Posts
Year?
Engine size?
That seems like a bad Crank sensor from the codes you listed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1994 Probe GT, KLDE (KL03) engine, V6 2.5L.

I didn't think of the fuel pump, it could be likely. I think it's the only thing on this car that hasn't been replaced since I've owned it.

I've done timing belt, water pump, crank dampener, A/C compressor, alternator, distributor, plugs, plug wires, plus all the usual... axles, wheel bearings, exhaust, rotors/calipers/pads, battery, tires, etc... So I don't want to have to sell this thing for nothing because it has this problem. I close on a house next month so I can't really get a new car right now... :p

I'm trying to do some maintenance while I figure this out and I need to clean my throttle body... Just not quite sure how to take it off. I got it all off minus the throttle... if anybody knows please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Your codes are pointing to the CKP, why would you think that it is your fuel pump?

Camshaft Position sensor CMP VS Crankshaft Position sensor
CMP supplies camshaft position information to the PCM. The PCM uses this information during engine startup to begin sequential pulsing of fuel injectors.
Crankshaft Position sensor CKP provides crankshaft position and engine RPM information to Ignition Control Module.

·
Registered
415 Posts
check fuel pressure check injectors and do a compression test and check your plugs and wires if has a distributor pull cap and check for white corrosion if coil pack equipped use a little grease in the tube before putting back on plugs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts