Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here goes. part rant, part confusion, part learning experience...
I picked up a pair of 96 mustang springs, and struts. i am still using the 79 spindles. BAD IDEA. i have had to grind down both the mounting point on the spindle by approx 1/4in, and inside the strut mounting flange approx 1/8in. just so i could make them fit together... and then on top of that, after i had ripped everything apart, i forgot to rent a spring compressor. my primary vehicle is out, without a spare, and i have to walk out the the middle of frigging nowhere to get a compressor.

next time i do this i'm gonna have the compressor first, get the matching spindle for the strut, and a few other things i may have forgotten at this point.
the good news is, i have new struts, cause the old ones were shot. I mean i collapsed one three days ago, and it still hasn't started to extend...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not quite. only one side is almost done, and i still have to get the compressor...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I have used a portable air tank for a couple of small jobs, stapling, or nailing. I imagine that using an impact gun with it, it would run out of pressure real quick, but sometimes all you need is to break a nut free with a gun, and then you can finish removing it with a wrench.

So here's my suggestion that depending what your needs are, and if you have the parts lying around might work for you.

I put a quick disconnect on my air tank so I can hook up an air hose with different attachments to it. (actually mainly so I can fill it without holding an air chuck to the shraeder valve)

I don't know how long it would take to fill up a five gallon tank to 120 psi with a hand pump, but it MIGHT be faster than walking to the middle of nowhere and back, and it MIGHT be easier than carrying a compressor back that far.

PortableAir.JPG

BicyclePump.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
One thing I did back in the day was I got myself an out-dated 20 lbs. propane tank and had a fitting adapted so I could use it as a portable air tank. Of course, I took the proper precautions and made sure it was completely devoid of leftover propane. Once filled, it's light wieght, fits just about anywhere in a vehicle and will hold enough to inflate a tire or run an air gun long enough to pull a strut.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yep. Jonzo had to walk to get one.
Someone had offered him a ride in the back of a pick up.
No way he would accept it, especially after this post:
.... whatever happened to a seat from a van, bolted down, and working seatbelts?

(Just playin Jonzo. You know we love ya! :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
vatozone? is that a spanish/mexican place?

And Electro, i'd be more afraid of the people driving him... i heard a funny thing today, "do you know where to find more ******** then ANY southern state?.... Try NASCAR...."
That's almost like the Autozone we have up here.:lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Geeezzz electro,
I gotta get me one of those crystal balls like you have.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i tried, but the springs are a lot taller than the old ones... unless you did the correct way, by taking the arm off from member. i don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 250LB/Ft anymore...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
strange question, but how far can you drive without grease in a ball joint?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
damn, if only i had the extra $150 just lying around for the removal tool. i have an extra ball joint just sitting around...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I imagine that you can drive for a bit without grease in the ball joint. I am guessing that you installed a new one and can't grease it? I also assume that it is not completely dry, so to drive it into town for a grease job shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding a ball joint press, AutoZone does have that tool on it's loaner program. I borrowed one from them when I did the ball joints on my bronco.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I imagine that you can drive for a bit without grease in the ball joint. I am guessing that you installed a new one and can't grease it? I also assume that it is not completely dry, so to drive it into town for a grease job shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding a ball joint press, AutoZone does have that tool on it's loaner program. I borrowed one from them when I did the ball joints on my bronco.
it has been in the car for a year, but the nipple ripped out of it yesterday right after i filled it with fresh grease. i was thinking more of driving around 350 miles, highway... lol? i know about the loaner program, that's where the 150 comes in... i'm just that strapped for cash at the moment, and it needs to be finished by tomorrow evening, or it will sit for another week:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts