Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck was not running good so I tried to replace the spark plugs.Starting from Driver side and realizing the coils(I had them a few years ago replaced the original ones) are not looking good so I replaced them with Denso(they look like original ones).That side was ok.I drove to store and came back,the truck was running smooth.Started the Passenger side as you can see in the picture they were some oil on #1,plenty oil on #2 and rust on #3.If wondering about #4(lucky me) stuck in there.I did not want to force it(didn't want to break),Put some kroil and seafoam penetrating in there and soaked real good.Two hours later trying a 1/8 left and right a few times and nothing moved.All these spark plugs holes were repaired with CalVan Tools 38900 Two Valve Ford Triton Tool Kit (they were popping out like popcorn).I had replaced the plugs a few month ago when I replaced the valve cover with gasket on it from ford(I have a thread here about oil on #3 plug).

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Looks like valve cover gasket is leaking oil into the spark plug wells.

Reinstallation would be best done with a very light coat of high temp anti-seize on the threads

Modular engine 3V does not have spark plug thread issues. It has a two piece spark plug that leaves the bottom halve stuck in the head, with the thread part in hand. Count your blessings.

Action

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is true blessing.Should I reinstall valve cover gasket again?
Should I put high temp anti-seize on like I did the rear differential,right?
How the #4 spark plug any idea?
What is best thing to do just in case #4 got broken?

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
The best you can hope for with #4 is to work it back and forth easily. Take your time and use anything that loosens carbon.
If you break the plug deal with that later May be an extractor

Not sure what you use on differential and that does not usually get that hot. For the engine looking for high temp like 1800 degree or higher.

As to oil into plug well ... you have to shut down the oil leak. Replace gasket or ???

Action

Reactions: scrambledlife

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is it.Do I put all around before I put the cover back up or did you mean spark plugs?
I replaced the valve cover from ford dealer with gasket since I have not driven car much,will the gasket be good?

As I am uploading picture I realized this won't work,but this one should

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
That copper anti-seize should work.
I use nickel.

Do not reuse gaskets that leak

Action

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always use the nickle one that I have (copper was giving by my neighbor),I put a little on spark plugs on driver side.I get the gasket tomorrow.
Time to get hands killed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Second tine around ,it wasn't that bad(this I knew a little what to do).Hands are ok.
The best part was after I cleaned up the top and around the valve cover,
it gave a chance to reach #4 spark plug.Like my man said couple left and right came out like before.the inside part of plug is clean but outside is covered with carbon.I finally took the valve cover off and I took couple of pictures from inside.Inside looks ok and chain is tight,nothing loose.
I tied the valve cover to tight first time,I could feel it when I unscrew the bolts and screws and I believe that did it(I hope).
Now the ?,how tight should I tight them?

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Or get a torque wrench and use it.

Technology has changed. So have repair procedures. Both are more precise.

Action

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can not reach all of them that easy torque them but going with feeling it,yes.
When I was getting the gasket from ford dealer I asked the seller about this and a mechanic that works there, said the same thing that Dominick said.I just tight them 1/8 extra after tightening them.

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
You did that tightening procedure before and it leaks now?

If yes to the above, will you do that procedure again?

Action

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did carefully this time and made sure the bolts are sitting on the valve cover without any gap(I think that could be the problem first time).I did it in this order this time.

#14 was giving me hard time but I tied it all the way.I just came in the house,it is cold and very windy out there.I will finish up tomorrow even it is going to be cold again.
When I was putting back this time I realized ,I just did not do it correct way first time.
I hope I did it right,right?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts