Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been throwing around the idea of doing a 4.6 swap into my mont. even though i still don't have my 302 finished in it. but i've got a complete 94 cougar the trans is crapped out in and i've got an aod or the c4 i could probably put behind it. anybody ever put any thought into it? i know they are different body's (fox and mn12) but it's a thought i wanted some input on.

BTW i'm looking for a 302 4 barrel intake stock or otherwise if anyone has one pm me.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dimkuSsPLRo]YouTube - Fox Body Fairmont w/ Ford Racing 4.6L 3V[/ame]
already done.
it's all your call, and i think you can swap the crossmember, since guys have taken 302's and put them into mustangs that came with the 281/4.6

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that looks like a sweet ride. i wonder how off the mounts would be for that k-member? and it's a lot of electronics to swap. wonder how hard it would be? better yet i wonder if i can use a standard sb ford bell housing on these things. i'm pretty sure i can with the aod being one of the standard transmissions used right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if the k-members would swap then it would make my life a little easier if i try this. since i've just got a small 70 amp stick welder and an angle grinder(small cheap one) a dremel and sawzall. i can't do a whole lot of fab work.

·
Banned
292 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
i've been throwing around the idea of doing a 4.6 swap into my mont. even though i still don't have my 302 finished in it. but i've got a complete 94 cougar the trans is crapped out in and i've got an aod or the c4 i could probably put behind it. anybody ever put any thought into it? i know they are different body's (fox and mn12) but it's a thought i wanted some input on.

BTW i'm looking for a 302 4 barrel intake stock or otherwise if anyone has one pm me.
I would go with a 351W. Here is the link to the swap.

Ford Racing 4.6L 3-Valve Fox Body Swap - Part 5 - Pictures & Test Drive Video - LRS Blog - Read Here Shop Here

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if i read right the 4.6 k member will bolt right in? onto another thought will the 4.6 k member work with my 302. cause i'm still using the straight 6 k member. what would the problems be with running a 4.6 (except i really like pushrod engines better)?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
so if i read right the 4.6 k member will bolt right in? onto another thought will the 4.6 k member work with my 302. cause i'm still using the straight 6 k member. what would the problems be with running a 4.6 (except i really like pushrod engines better)?
the 4.6 member will fit right in. stymees'mont, and i have done the inline 6 member with 302's. others have probably done it as well. it's easy. I'll be making a thread posting every step i took, since my last one was deleted by a hacker

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i already done the swap with the stock 6 cyl k member. but i was wondering if i could use the one from the cougar the 4.6 one in the fairmont and if it would have the same bolt pattern for the motor mounts so i could upgrade the k member and still use my 302? idk if i'm making any sense...hell idk what i'm trying to say

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
there's one way to find out for sure...

·
Banned
292 Posts
i already done the swap with the stock 6 cyl k member. but i was wondering if i could use the one from the cougar the 4.6 one in the fairmont and if it would have the same bolt pattern for the motor mounts so i could upgrade the k member and still use my 302? idk if i'm making any sense...hell idk what i'm trying to say
Ok, i'm good at not making sense.... let me see if i got this right...
You want to use the 4.6L K member out of a cougar.. AND still have the 302 in it (i guess until you get the 4.6L?) ..... Am i right or do i also have no clue?:eek:ut:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
okay let's start with the basics. i did the swap to a 302 using the 6 cylinder k member. which lowered the front of the car. can i use the 4.6 (cougar k member)? will it bolt into my futura? if so that would upgrade the front end. but could i still use the 302? will the motor mounts fit in the 4.6 mounting holes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts