Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, long time no see! I was stopping in to try and figure out where I can find a decoder sheet for the LTD's. I know some basic stuff like paint codes and transmission but I cannot get a robust listing that shows complete options (especially drive train). And don't get me started on the, "wonder-lookup" sites. One of them said I had a 1968 with a 302 in it! :ROFLMAO:

The old gal is still running great, so beyond my constant desire to tweak and tune; I was just wanting to know what all this was originally optioned with. The interwebs hasn't treated my search so well today, as all I can find are code sheets for F-150s and Mustangs. Otherwise, I just needed an excuse to come over here and chat it up on the forums. OH and for reference, this is the tag I'm wanting to decode...

I'd love to get paint work done but sadly I don't think she'll see that this year. Currently working on trying to pop the old dizzy loose (as it's seized to the block). After swapping in a new one I wanna finally dial the timing in and then re-jet the carb to squeeze a little more economy out of it. Plugs looked like she was runnin a tad rich, and on the stock cam/heads I can't see why it would need a fat mix anyways. Trying to scrap my gamedev portfolio together while working part time, so LTD funds have been at a bare minimum too. When I finally land the dev work, I'll finally start seeing enough that I can afford to have someone else do the body work for a change. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,084 Posts
A 1978 model
Scheduled build date October 24, 1977 in the Twin Cities Assembly Plant
Full sized Four door pillared hard top
400 2V engine

Paint is Light Jade Glow Metallic. Or has a Grey vinyl roof with dark green body side molding
Ordered through the Twin Cities (MN) Ford Division sales office
FMX automatic transmission
Equipped with AC

Action

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh fantastic Action! You were just the fellow I had in mind when I posted this. Interesting enough this is definitely a 2 door, so I wonder why it's listed as a 4 door. Everything else seems to check out. Curious though, as I'd like to familiarize myself with reading LTD vins; is there a database where these codes options are sorted by year? I only found relatively incomplete lists, that didn't even have color codes. Figured you'd be the one to ask on that one.

Was hoping to find something like this somewhere but for the LTD line...

·
Super Moderator
15,084 Posts
That is a page from the shop manual. There are several pages.
And a shop manual would highly recommended.
I have a 78 shop manual set in storage. However with nightly lows around 90 and highs between 105 and 110 digging around in my storage shed is a wet situation. As in sweating so bad I need a shower and a nap.
Sadly code data is lacking on the net for vehicles in the 1970s to 1981 when 17 digit VINs were mandated.
The body code data may be faulty

Action

·
Super Moderator
15,084 Posts
60L Two door Pillared Hardtop LTD Landau

Thanks Onceler

Action

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou so much Onceler! This helps me a lot, as it actually tells me my rear gear too (2.47 is a bit taller than I thought it had). Seeing comparable year options is also useful for understanding what may or may not be drifting around left to scrounge the net for. Thanks a bunch fellas, this is exactly what I came over here for!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts