Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the the difference between a post car and a hard top? Is there a noticeable difference by lookin at the side my 64 is a 4 door and i seen a 2 door parts car was curious.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The hard top and post cars referred to were 2 door cars. In the hard top when you wound all the windows down there was nothing showing. Just a big opening where the glass was. In the post version when the glass was all rolled down you could still see the B pillar at the rear of the door. It separated the front and rear of the car. As a 4 door yours will have a post there between the doors but would be referred to as a 4 door or a 4 door post rather than a post car.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
To add to what Canuck said.
In historic terminology a sedan will have a frame around the door windows, while the hardtop has frameless door glass. A true hardtop sedan design also has no "B" pillar (the roof support behind the front doors). This body style has an open feel, but requires extra underbody strengthening for structural rigidity. The hardtop design can be considered separately (i.e., a vehicle can be simply called a four-door hardtop), or it can be called a hardtop sedan. During the 1960s and 1970s, hardtop sedans were often sold as sport sedans by American manufacturers and were among the top selling body styles. During the 1980s, automakers in the U.S. focused on removing weight and increasing strength, and their new four-door sedans with B-pillars were called pillared hardtops or pillared sedans. The sport sedan term has since been appropriated for other uses.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So, do you have a 4 door hard top? With the glass down is it open from the wing vent to where the top comes down to meet the quarter? I've used a 63 ford 4 door hardtop for demo derbys.
Whoever would have thought that so much of that old iron would be wanted again.

I've thrown away or scrapped small fortunes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here is a pic of my hardtop '62 Gal. Note, no pillar, or any other usable parts. I hate drunks.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Late January of '02. I was doing the speed limit. Since there were no fatalities or life threatening injury, there was no investigation into how fast the assthro van was moving. That night, after I'd punched out his window to get his door open and he kicked out a sixer of empties, I had to explain to two tow truck drivers, a state cop, an ambulance crew, my Grandpa, ten nurses, five doctors, three x-ray techs and my Mom, why there are no seat belts in a '62 Galaxie. I still feel it on a cold morning or when the rain is coming. Didn't want to hijack, just a little pic whoring. Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts