Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone on any chatboard always give rave reviews to Festiva/ Aspire- basically the same engine and frames- different bodies. I have a '96 Aspire now and had an 88 Festiva in the past. That one I had with 275,000 plus miles on it and it ran great. The Aspire is just over 105 K miles now- I got it with 35,000 almost ten years now- and it's been absolutely trouble free.

It'll get 42 PLUS MPG at 60- 65 with 5 gears- a little better than the taller Festiva that had only a 4 speed.

I love these cars- and they started making everything bigger again about the millenium. So I'm hanging onto the Aspire for awhile!

ai720.photobucket.com_albums_ww206_nancyewilson_778.jpg

ai720.photobucket.com_albums_ww206_nancyewilson_569.jpg

ai720.photobucket.com_albums_ww206_nancyewilson_b.jpg

:cornut:

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have a 96 aspire, and im averaging about 28 in city and around 35 highway. what are you doing to get 40? better gas, plugs, downhill? my aspire is my daily driver right now and i need to do anything i can to bump up my mpg. any suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is it a 5 speed manual tranny? My 40 and plus MPG claim is always at 60-65 mph- I seldomr drive any faster
I'm a single person, and I know this sounds strange, but I usually take the back seats out- and have in this car- you can feel the dif right off.
You could also try a size narrorer on your tires, if you don't drive in a lot of snow- my old vW rabbits always had only 155 wide tires and held the road great with a heavier and larger chassis.

The Rabbits of the 70's and '80s got 35 mpg with a larger 1.8 motor and a larger heavier body with only 4 gears. It's all generally been a conspiracy to sell gasoline since I think, and the return to larger cars at about the time that ford stopped selling these, and Chevy/ Geo quit with the Metro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts