Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As we have all witnessed the world is a changing place, the trick is to keep up with the times to stay ahead. Gasoline prices are way up and highly unlikely to come back down anytime soon. This affects all of us with an internal combustion engine, that is unless you're brewing your own fuel at home :)

Now I do like older well built things, be it everything from a house to a car to a mechanical watch. I do like daily driving our old cars and wish for that to keep going. I am certainly not anti-technology, I just want technology to work for me and not someone else profiting off my usage of it nor effectively spying on me.

I have 11,000+ watts of a solar field so electricity for me will be aplenty. With that in mind I am not adverse to shedding the ritual of giving the oil companies large sums of money every time the fuel gauge cries out in one of the cars.

How many people would opt to at least entertain the idea of pulling the internal combustion drivetrain in their classic car and convert it to electric to keep the operating costs down? Now another assumption is short range driving with no long range trips.

I figure with more and more electric cars being produced and sold, soon enough the scrap yards will start filling up with them and the internals will be ripe for picking.

Since the true spirit of hot rodding started after WWII with cars with no aftermarket support, it was people making their own parts to make their cars faster and perhaps even better on other fronts. Would not electric conversions fall under this as well since there are some electric cars that will blow the doors off the best built gasoline powered cars?

Not less forgetting I'm digging the idea of effectively filling up for free at home.

Food for thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello DXL,

I am 100% in agreement. In my mind this embodies the essence of hot rodding. I just have to figure out how to emulate the sounds of a SOHC 427 or perhaps a nice Boss 302 to round out the conversion, lol!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
I was at a car club meeting last weekend.

A guy there said he saw a converted classic Cadillac. The owner was a retailer. The conversion was selling for $75,000
That is a lot of doh to charge up in the back yard

The cost has to make sense for me.
I have roof top solar, and that didn't workout. for me. I am saving. But something on the order of $20 to $30 a month on a yearly average.
I am kind of jaded about the whole solar thing

Action

Reactions: kbuhagiar

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
GM is supposed to be producing drop in electric driver trains for old cars. They just recently converted a longtime project car at HotRod. Look up Project X.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My two cents is EV conversions may well be the only way to eventually enjoy old vehicles. Hopefully in the distant future, but I'm betting certain states or areas will eventually outlaw combustion engines even if it doesn't make logical sense. The key for conversions will be true "right to repair" and tinker options, allowing the DIY guy to not only build, but allow them to charge their builds at public charging stations. Some places are already trying to stop that option.

The manufacturers could help by providing drop in solutions, but the hot rodder in me wants to build from the salvage like DesertXL mentioned. It SHOULD be more affordable and more satisfying, but the EV solutions are much more complicated than a non EFI combustion engine.

I won't be off grid at home for some time due to our low power prices, but I do offset my usage with a small solar array and save a bit each day and continue to grow that option along with other "just in case" solutions. I do charge my home built electric scooter and DIY E-bike off solar though, which is satisfying no doubt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was at a car club meeting last weekend.

A guy there said he saw a converted classic Cadillac. The owner was a retailer. The conversion was selling for $75,000
That is a lot of doh to charge up in the back yard

The cost has to make sense for me.
I have roof top solar, and that didn't workout. for me. I am saving. But something on the order of $20 to $30 a month on a yearly average.
I am kind of jaded about the whole solar thing

Action
i can buy a whole lot of gas for the 75k start up plan probably wear out a few gas propulsion units

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
My thoughts exactly

Action

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ford has the Eluminator drop in powertrain. If you were doing a full on custom hot rod, something new wrapped in an old skin, then why not? Not anything I have intentions on doing, but hot rodding is hot rodding, ICE or electric, so I am interested in seeing any project that somebody undertakes to make something that they want. It's all cool to me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ford has the Eluminator drop in powertrain. If you were doing a full on custom hot rod, something new wrapped in an old skin, then why not? Not anything I have intentions on doing, but hot rodding is hot rodding, ICE or electric, so I am interested in seeing any project that somebody undertakes to make something that they want. It's all cool to me.
Hello 70XL,

All good points. I do regret titling this post with the intention of going electric, I think a better proposition for a discussion would have alternative energy and that could have left the door open to other possibilities.

I am really considering experimenting with hydrogen and running the internal combustion off of that if I can sort out the storage problem. I can generate hydrogen easily enough and I would expect a fuel delivery system similar to that of propane.

Cheers

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Hello 70XL,

I think a better proposition for a discussion would have alternative energy and that could have left the door open to other possibilities.

Cheers
Handled!!

Action

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
220 Posts
if it was me and i want to convert an old car to get better gas milage i would go for installing the ford 2.3l EcoBoost engine from the Ford Mustang EcoBoost.
it gets 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft and on avg 30+- mpg.

·
Registered
551 Posts
if it was me and i want to convert an old car to get better gas milage i would go for installing the ford 2.3l EcoBoost engine from the Ford Mustang EcoBoost.
it gets 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft and on avg 30+- mpg.
I`d think you could get 30mpg (+/-) out of 5.0l Coyote. I believe our old Galaxies weight less than a new Mustang, so they should be better on fuel with the same engine. I just like the sound of the V8 better than the I4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts