Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - when I was a teenager and had my first job, my boss’s son had a 65 Falcon muscle car. I was smitten!!!

Awhile back, I bought 63 Fordor with the thought of restoring but never got it done and sold it.

Ever since I’ve been looking for a good round body - either to restore or fully restored.

Found this one in my area but am interested in what you all think about the price. As the advertisement states, it’s not a muscle car but does get down the road.

Good deal or not?1963 Ford Falcon

·
Registered
39 Posts
not a bad looking car at all, if they get the dash fixed and put a guaranty on it that it wont short out and burn up the car.
I would say check for rust at typ places, behind the tires and get a small magnet with felt on back side and check for heavy bondo in area of concern.
i didnt check for bondo when i bought my 67 falcon. if so i might have got it for less. found out there was a lot of bondo at the rear panels and at the lower roof line. like over 3/8" think.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

I suspect a lot of work has gone into that car.. The concern I have is the car is not what it is presented. Based on a number of things. Likely there are more.

The 3 spoke horn ring doesn't exactly fit on the 3 spoke steering wheel.
The steering wheel is black not red
Three speed on the floor???
I don't think all of the screws on the bottom of the door panel is correct
The black spray paint under the hood and on the underside of the hood is not correct. Falcon is unibody. I think the sheet metal was body color
Hood hinges were not painted. These are
Seat belts have been added as they are not color coded. Should be red. Factory (If available) would have been front seat only. The underside of the vehicle confirms this.
It has been repainted
The engine has a 200 sticker and the advertisment says it is a 170. Is the engine correct?
The distributor is from a 70's era engine
Floor pans have been replaced with flat sheet metal not replacement panels that are now available
The underside has been painted black in fact everything has been painted that was not originally. Covering???
These are things I saw from pictures. I did not look at every picture

I would want a picture of the serial number plate on the door jamb or door. I suspect that will tell more story as far as engine & transmission

The price reflects something less than less than an excellent example as I believe if it was a very good example it would be $5000 more than what is listed now. It is pretty and may be worth the price. I suspect it is a Falcon convertible. Beyond that not so sure. There was a Futura convertible, a Futura Sports Convertible & a very late model year Sprint Convertible. I would bet this is a Futura Convertible with a bench seat and 3 on the tree. But have a dealer sell it is a nice way to say, Well That is what the owner told us. Given all of that there may be some room to negoiate. Hopefully they find a wiper switch knob.

Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up on the paint and sheet metal and the new paint underside first thing but didn't notice the horn and all the fine details that you did.
i agree with Action get the vin and run it and see what gits. lol on the 200 sticker on a 170. ez motor swap......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome responses! Really appreciate the detailed feedback. Gonna ask for a picture of the data plate and attach it here.

I have nothing other than my gut to go on but think this car is more like a $15k range vs $20k. That could just be my cheapo personality showing. 😝

·
Registered
263 Posts
Action saved me a lot of typing--great observations.
A few additional points--
The screws at the bottom of the doors are NOT correct. There would have been hidden spring clips that clipped to the hardbaord panel.
They painted the door latch post--not correct
The paint under the hood might have varied by the plant where it was made. My Falcons had the black in the entire engine bay with the pinchweld flange on the firewall as the dividing line to body color.
Seat upholstery color doesn't look right.
All in all, a very presentable car, but I think their price is a little high.
Your $$--your choice.

·
Registered
1963 Falcon Futura convertible v8 4 on the floor
17 Posts
I have the feeling this car was originally black...
The engine and gear box could be from a Mustang: Falcons never had 3 on the floor...
The steering wheel is from a Sprint.
The outside trim is screwed! Not correct...
Nice ride but overpriced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree about being overpriced. Never saw a 3 on the floor either. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Still waiting on a pic of the data plate.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
If you reached out to a used car dealership days ago and did not get a reply, that IS a problem. When was the last time a used car salesperson was slow to connect with a human that had even the slightest passing interest?

Now, in their defense that kind of car should generate a LOT of interest. So may be they are working with the person that seems most likely to buy. Which would be a good sign the salesperson is not in it to serve. They are in it for what is in it for them.

Unless you are local to the car or can get someone local to the car, it is more in the category of nice pictures. Still looking for a real car.

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He did say to “call to discuss” when he answered my website inquiry via email. It was that email that I replied to asking for the data plate. Dead air after that.

Really just fact finding at this point, don’t feel like having a phone conversation at this point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
'63 'Roundbody CVT is a unique 1 year production car. Nice looking car but not a survivor , more of a rescued car. Aside from numerous items already mentioned, I believe a lot of work was done. Underbody panel work not so good. Does look like frame connectors were added and an undetermined rear end . Rear doesn't look like an early six rear or an 8" used with V8's The tie-down spring plates look to be aftermarket HiPo'. Probably '65 V8 type steering setup from pics. Hood overspray is odd, maybe forgot,? ,

have fun
not so unique '63 more-door

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
If I was invited to call, I definitely would.

A lot of data can be gathered over the phone. And on the first call I NEVER ask or talk about price. As a buyer I never talk about price as it indicates interest. I am not interested until I know what is being sold. And at this point I am not really sure WHAT is being sold. And I bet the seller (In this case as sales person) doesn't know what he/she is selling either. Other than it is pretty.

I would want to know the history. What work has been done and some of the anomolies.
If sales person comes back with dunno then I know exactly what to offer. (If I still wanted it)
And it would be the classic low ball. But NEVER made on the first call.

Action

Reactions: ms fowler

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
49 Posts
We recently replaced the steering wheel and horn ring on our '62, only Black is available at this time, so I'd give them a pass on that, but the horn ring is readily available and the one they installed is from a later year and is not correct.
Also, the radio has been cutout, it's not correct. Lots of us did that back then, I think the original radio in my '62 when I was a kid had tubes in it and some replacements were not available or were very expensive - this was 1969/1970. I'm pretty sure I hacked my dash as well.
The screws in the door panels and body trim are definitely not right, as others have mentioned. That would be a turn off for me.
The engine compartment should be body color, all body parts were painted before any of the trim went on or sub-assemblies installed.
It's your money and I can certainly understand the desire, but to me it's overpriced.
Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bob, are you sure about the color of the engine bay?
My 63 is definitely 100% original and engine bay is matt black...
The rest of it, is body color as you mentioned.
Daniel

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
49 Posts
Hi Daniel,
I cannot guarantee that all engine bays were painted body color, but this one and yours are the only two I have heard of that were not.
Many people, perhaps myself included, painted engine bays black or other non-body colors, but usually it is acknowledged/admitted to if questioned.
Look at pics of any car from that era - and even today's models - the engine bays are all body color. Probably not glossy metallic, but still the same base body color.
Possibly in the case of a special run of Mustang Machs, Camaro RSs, Plymouth 'Cudas, etc it may have been part of the package. Or maybe a special order car where it would be specified to have the engine bay painted a different color. But an everyday Falcon Convertible, not likely. In the absence of a document specifying the build specs, I would say it is not.
When the body chassis is sent to the spray booths, it would require additional labor to mask off that area and then more additional labor to paint it a different color, either before or after the spray booth.
Best regards,
Bob

Reactions: Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still haven’t received a picture of the data plate but the VIN provided produced the following results on the falconparts.com decoder:

Your Data as Interpreted by falconparts.com Model Year = 1963
Model Series = Convertible
Engine = 170 Cu. In. 6 cylinder
Body Type = Incorrect Body Code;
Exterior Color = Incorrect Color Code
Upholstery Color = Unknown Trim Code
Date Born = Month Unknown
Transmission = Incorrect Transmission Code
Axle = Incorrect Axle Code
DSO = DSOCode Unknown
Assembly Plant = Lorain

Not a whole lot of info but at least it confirmed the original engine was a 170. Still confused by engine color (170) and 200 sticker.
Plus it said 3 speed manual but, as noted earlier, those were on the tree not on the floor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Daniel,
I cannot guarantee that all engine bays were painted body color, but this one and yours are the only two I have heard of that were not.
Many people, perhaps myself included, painted engine bays black or other non-body colors, but usually it is acknowledged/admitted to if questioned.
Look at pics of any car from that era - and even today's models - the engine bays are all body color. Probably not glossy metallic, but still the same base body color.
Possibly in the case of a special run of Mustang Machs, Camaro RSs, Plymouth 'Cudas, etc it may have been part of the package. Or maybe a special order car where it would be specified to have the engine bay painted a different color. But an everyday Falcon Convertible, not likely. In the absence of a document specifying the build specs, I would say it is not.
When the body chassis is sent to the spray booths, it would require additional labor to mask off that area and then more additional labor to paint it a different color, either before or after the spray booth.
Best regards,
Bob
Ok Bob, thank's for the info! I quickly checked on the web for 63 Falcons for sale and I've found only 3 with body colors in the engine bay. The rest were black; maybe resprayed? Hard to say...
I will check on mine if, below the black, I'll find the ming green. A good place to check would be below the brace.
Daniel

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
49 Posts
Wow, seems it's become a bit of a fad. I really never paid much attention to it, but now seems a bit weird that it's so common.
On the Falcons, and maybe other Fords of that era, check the driver side support brace in the engine bay. The warranty number is stamped on that brace. If it's not crisp it could indicate it was resprayed.
Here's a pic of the engine bay of our 62 when I pulled it out from where it had been stored for 10+ years.
Best,
Bob

Reactions: Dani1971

·
Registered
263 Posts
re: engine bay paint
I may have posted this before, but--the painting of the engine bay may have been a decision made by the local plant. I am on the East coast, and both of my '64 Sprint convertibles were painted black--the inner fender structures and firewall up to the pinch weld seam. Both were from the Metuchen NJ plant
I also just reviewed all the pictures in Falcon! the New Sized Ford" by Ray Miller, and he doesn't have many under hood shots, but all that he did include are black--or appear to be black.
My '64 Factory Shop manual--first printing September 1963 shows both black and body color illustrations. The body color illustrations are pretty much confined to the suspension and steering sections--and are mostly carry-over illustrations from the 1960 manual.
My 1960 Falcon shop manual--second printing also shows both--The steering section has the same --body color ( white) illustrations as the 1964 manual. The large photo showing the Grille Bolt locations clearly shows a painted under hood area. I am sure that the 1960manual was made using prototype cars so it may not be completely reliable for this information.
I still believe that different assembly plants did it differently. At least that would explain why we so both versions.
What plant made your white '62?

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
49 Posts
Ahhh, that makes sense. It's not something I've paid much attention to and probably would not have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned. I also did a random sampling of many cars - not just Falcons - on ebay and some were and some were not. It's more common than I thought it would be.
Best,
Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts