Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 99 Taraus and going to change out the water pump this weekend. I used a pressure tester thing and found the pump was leaking onto the Cat which caused the smell (thankfully not the head gasket). I was planning on taking the car to the radiator shop and having them flush the radiator and the core (have no heat eaither) before I changed it out.
Anywho, upon looking my first question is what is the safe and correct way to get the belt off? I'm sure I'll be posting more question as the arise but any info or shortcuts would be great and if anyone has some skematics or torque spec's for the half million bolts that would be awesome as well
Hopefully after the flush, and replacing the pump and termostat I will have heat again and no overheating issues...Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is this a Vin U or a vin S 8th position on the VIN.
Both are 6cylinder 3.0L. one is called the Vulcan, the other the Duratec.

Vulcan - Link -tinyurl dot com slash 242dmj2

Duratec link - w3 dot taurusclub dot com slash wiki slash index dot php slash Remove_Water_Pump_on_Gen_3_Duratec

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a Vin U or a vin S 8th position on the VIN.
Both are 6cylinder 3.0L. one is called the Vulcan, the other the Duratec.

Vulcan - Link -tinyurl dot com slash 242dmj2

Duratec link - w3 dot taurusclub dot com slash wiki slash index dot php slash Remove_Water_Pump_on_Gen_3_Duratec

I believe it's the Duratec, that's the one with the U code right? Tried the web site you suggested by no info

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did the link even work? I had to obfuscate it a little to get past the "No posting links, not enough posts", BS

·
Registered
89 Posts
not sure about the duratec, but if its the vulcan engine, there is a spring loaded tensioner. all you have to do is stick a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar into the belt tensioner hole, swing the tensioner away from the belt and slip the belt off. real simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts