Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 falcon with an 8 inch rear and 5 lug.Also have a set of 15x6 Cragers with 3.5 inch back spacing.Can you help me out on tire size possibilities with the front possibly a little narrower.Not looking for radical but would like a wider tire in back but dont want tire rub problems front or back.Thank you

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
For what it's worth ..... The stock rim was 5" wide for that year Falcon with V8.

Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it's worth ..... The stock rim was 5" wide for that year Falcon with V8.

Action
Yes I realize that but I have read on here applications with wider wheels and tires.Thought some readers might post their rides with the wheel size i have and recommendations.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
They will, I am generating some visibility for you.

There is one guy that has a set up on a '60 with some non-stock what appears to be Centerlines. However is he is going through a tough time right now.

Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I need to rephrase.If you have 15x6 wheels with 3.5 inch backspacing on a 64 Falcon and have pictures of the tires and sizes of those tires you are using on your car so I can see what they look like on your ride would be helpful.Trying to avoid the tire shop fitting a bunch of tires and experimenting.Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm running 15x6 Torq Thrust wheels on my '65 (should be the same wheel well size), with 3.75" backspacing. Tires are 195/15-60 front and 215/15-60 rear. I have 1" clearance at the top and front of the wheel well, and no rubbing at all, ever.

IMG_3772.JPG
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 64 falcon with an 8 inch rear and 5 lug.Also have a set of 15x6 Cragers with 3.5 inch back spacing.Can you help me out on tire size possibilities with the front possibly a little narrower.Not looking for radical but would like a wider tire in back but dont want tire rub problems front or back.Thank you
You might be fine with 195-60-15, or maybe even squeeze 205-60-15 - maybe with some modification. That should give you 215s or 225s on the rear. Of course the key is going to be that fender opening clearance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is as big as I could go on my 64
4 door Falcon. Can just rub my fingers on the fender wheel wells. Not sure about skinny fronts but if you find some pass the info along. My Falcon is still all 4 lug. Not sure where the aluminum rims are from but again all 4 lug.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is as big as I could go on my 64
4 door Falcon. Can just rub my fingers on the fender wheel wells. Not sure about skinny fronts but if you find some pass the info along. My Falcon is still all 4 lug. Not sure where the aluminum rims are from but again all 4 lug. View attachment 48325
View attachment 48324
215/60R14 was what I was able to squeeze into the fender walls leaving me less than and inch clearance. Its not the height...its the width that ends up maxed out on my 64 Falcon anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I bought my car it had 14x6 torq thrusts with 215/70-14 all the way around. The front has no issues. The rear did rub on one side but the leafs were flat (and had the band-aid coil over shocks on it). I did notice the inner fender wells didn't look the same. One must have been replaced at one time and the contour was slightly different. However when I swapped the 8" out for the 9" rear I changed the springs. Got 5 leafs with the eye in positioned to give it a 1" lift. I put 235/60-15's on the rear and they clear easily with the slight lift. The 5 leafs are giving me a stiff ride, if I had to it again I'd drop to 4 leafs but leave the 1" lift and it keeps the tires more out of the wheel well and gives it a nice stance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I bought my car it had 14x6 torq thrusts with 215/70-14 all the way around. The front has no issues. The rear did rub on one side but the leafs were flat (and had the band-aid coil over shocks on it). I did notice the inner fender wells didn't look the same. One must have been replaced at one time and the contour was slightly different. However when I swapped the 8" out for the 9" rear I changed the springs. Got 5 leafs with the eye in positioned to give it a 1" lift. I put 235/60-15's on the rear and they clear easily with the slight lift. The 5 leafs are giving me a stiff ride, if I had to to id again I'd drop to 4 leafs but leave the 1" lift and it keeps the tires more out of the wheel well and gives it a nice stance.
I'm glad you mentioned the leaf springs since its on my "to do list". My rear sags at over an inch from the front and I know their original and need replacing. Not sure i want to take this myself since all I have is jack stands. The idea of "massaging" the leafs to get them to bolt in doesn't look eady....or fun. Maybe I'll opt for the 4 leaf rather than the stiffer 5 leaf setup.
My rear quarter panels were definitely tacked in and replaced at one time which would make sense that one side has less tire clearance than the other. My biggest issue is trying to adjust the body lines. Some things are seamless while others I can't seem to align short of a big body hammer and a few cuss words. I may have to live with some of it. My "right now" issues is installing a new gas tank sending unit ( gas gage on empty) and a back ordered DUI distributor. My last order of business is the exhaust since its just a straight pipe to just behind the front passenger seat....rather annoying but it certainly doesn't sound line a 200 inline six....it growls...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I bought my car it had 14x6 torq thrusts with 215/70-14 all the way around. The front has no issues. The rear did rub on one side but the leafs were flat (and had the band-aid coil over shocks on it). I did notice the inner fender wells didn't look the same. One must have been replaced at one time and the contour was slightly different. However when I swapped the 8" out for the 9" rear I changed the springs. Got 5 leafs with the eye in positioned to give it a 1" lift. I put 235/60-15's on the rear and they clear easily with the slight lift. The 5 leafs are giving me a stiff ride, if I had to to id again I'd drop to 4 leafs but leave the 1" lift and it keeps the tires more out of the wheel well and gives it a nice stance.
I will be running coil overs so maybe I will give that size a try.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned the leaf springs since its on my "to do list". My rear sags at over an inch from the front and I know their original and need replacing. Not sure i want to take this myself since all I have is jack stands. The idea of "massaging" the leafs to get them to bolt in doesn't look eady....or fun. Maybe I'll opt for the 4 leaf rather than the stiffer 5 leaf setup.
Leaf springs replacement was not too difficult for me. Awkward yes.

I replaced a set on a 1/2 ton van
I used the van to two a larger load so I went up on weight capacity a little
The hardest part was grinding a bolt through the spring eye as it had rusted in place

At minimum, you will need jack stands to support the vehicle and a couple of portable jacks to move the axle up and down.

Do replace ALL hardware

Action

1 - 20 of 26 Posts